News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I tried to ask many of those same questions myself.

On the Japan forum I received a lot of great help. In general however, much of the recipient records have been destroyed in WWII. Numbers and who are mostly lost.

In addition to the RS (Rising Sun) the ST (Sacred Treasure) would be awarded to foreigners. While not conclusive, it is generally believed that the RS would be handed out to military and civilian foreigners for official visits, diplomatic occasions, etc. by Japanese notables. The ST might be awarded by the Japanese military to worthy foreign military officers for noticed military exploits or liaison services to Japan.

As for navy or foreign service? It might be both. But I’m guessing a Navy bar. Could you show some close up photos of the front, but especially the reverse. What color is the backing?

Here's the obverse. Nothing glows and all is sewn correctly.

Obverse of an attractive and symmetrical Franco-Prussian War medal bar with Worth clasp. Can anyone ID the third veteran's medal and explain why the crown is on the first ribbon?

Edited by azyeoman

The reverse.

Odd hook, but I think it's all good.

With that backing, I would guess a navy guy.

Nice. I was really draw to it, because three of the awards were earned, or relate to WWI service. In WWI, the Japanese were an active enemy (see Siege of Tsingtau). But by 1934 that all changed and they eventually became Allies.

Odd hook, but I think it's all good.

With that backing, I would guess a navy guy.

Nice. I was really draw to it, because three of the awards were earned, or relate to WWI service. In WWI, the Japanese were an active enemy (see Siege of Tsingtau). But by 1934 that all changed and they eventually became Allies.

Thank you. It's a weird hook, but I sincerely believe it's all good too. Yep and all the islands they got from the German Empire we had to fight for 33 years later... I like the bar very much and wondered if there might be some sort of submarine connection, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part. Would this have been to an officer or a sailor? Have you seen many bars with Japanese decorations on them? I've seen one with a redcross medal online and I believe there are a couple I've seen on this site too, but I've not seen many. Thanks for your evaluation. It means a lot.

Edited by azyeoman