News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It's a magnificent tunic to a Colour Sergeant ( the crossed flags insignia) of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers circa 1881-1902. The stars on the sleeve are efficiency stars.

For each period of five years that a man was shown to be efficient (by virtue of attending/completing his training drills), and be marked as such officially, he would be awarded one of these stars. The amount of stars on this tunic would indicate a very lengthy service life indeed.

It is a superb tunic that i would be delighted to own.

Congratulations!

Edited by Patrick Dempsey

Gentlemen,

My thanks for all your help anf kind remarks about the tunic, could anyone point me in the right direction for the best way to sell the tunic, i am down sizing my collection and selling all my items other than my medals which is my main collecting field. Again my thanks for all your help.

Regards David (H

David - our own Forum has a very good auction site. Set your price with a little research and post under the For Sale.

Apart from anything else you won't have to pay 25% commission. My own opinion on price would be about 250 - 300

pounds - but, check catalogues.

Stunning - wish it had been Northumberlands, as I certainly would have made an offer. What makes this tunic even nicer is the fact that it belonged to a 'Volunteer' Clr Sgt, whereas in reality the majority of them were Colour Sgt's on secondment from the Regular Battalions, marking time before taking retirement.

• 2 years later...

Looking through older threads to the RWF and found this one.

What a stunning Vol Bn's tunic. Did anyone work out why it only has WF on the shoulder boards?

Did it get sold?

I have a later RWF Vol Bn's scarlet frock in my collection.

Hello

Thank you for your interest the tunic is for sale no one was able yo explain the reason for the WF on the shoulders, I understand there is the in the RWF museum thank you again

David.

Thanks David for your very quick reply.

I was in the museum less than two weeks back, but did not notice one with only WF on the titles, but I was with the wife and though she is very good about such things, I did not study everything as much as I would have liked.

Is the tunic listed for sale on the forum? If not perhaps you could pm me with details?

Hello,

Thank you the tunic is not on the forum for sale as I have only re thought of selling in this last couple of weeks. You can email me at davidjohnhill@hotmail.co.uk should you be interested thank you.

David..

I looked in Bryn Owen's book on the Welsh militia which covers this unit and he showed an example from when they had converted to the 3rd VBn. and that also has WF on the shoulder titles. so just one of those regimental oddities.

I have emailed you.