News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please forgive a newbie question but, when I am visiting web sites in search of information or images of miniaturkettchen, I am seeing many references to 1957 with respect to miniatures which appear to date from WW 1. For example, here,

http://www.militaria...ausfuhrung.html

Can anyone enlighten me as to the significance of the year 1957? Did the regulations for wearing such miniature chains change in that year?

As may be obvious already, I don't speak or read German so I am largely relying on Google Translate in my research endeavours :( I am thus very grateful for any help German speakers may be able to give me.

James,

In 1957 a law was passd in Germany allowing the wear of military awards made from 1939-1945. This law set forth how the awards would look (no swastika) and be worn, to include miniatures. That year has become shorthand for the modified versions of Wehrmacht awards manufactured and worn after the war.

Andy

Hello James,

July 26 of 1957 we here in Germany got Das deutsche Gesetz über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen (Ordensgesetz) this was a law

that told us german that the former soldiers etc. who got decoration that they must wear decoration without swastika an not all

medeals were allowed.

Andreas

Andy and Andreas

Thank you for your answers, which give the information that I was hoping for. I rather suspected that the reason was something along these lines. I intend to collect only Imperial ODMs, so in theory this should not affect me. However, I have noted that, in some cases, where a medal chain include both imperial and 57ers, the imperials seem as new as the 57ers ;) This is obviously something to be aware of, for newer collectors like me!

Thank you, again.

Hi James,

with the law from 1957 (Ordensgesetz) it had been described, what decorations (Orden und Ehrenzeichen) Germans could wear, and how they should wear them.

Included were listings, what could be worn of the decorations of the Third Reich era, and what was forbidden to wear from this time period (e.g. all the party decorations).

In § 6 we can find a definition, how several Third Reich era decorations must be worn: in a new design without Nazi symbols.

In 1958 the ministry of the interior edited a regulation, where the decorations in the new design are listed with pictures:

http://ordensmuseum....16Jan0857er.pdf

It is national and international consensus, to name these decorations 1957er Ausführungen and 1957er versions (short: 57er).

It is normal, to have on direct post 1958 made mini chains a mixture of 57er versions and new made minis of federal, imperial and foreign decorations. If there is only one 57er, it is usual, to call this chain a 57er chain.

You must be aware of not original decorations everytime and everywhere!

Uwe

Uwe

Thanks for this additional information, which has nicely complimented what the others have written. Thank you also for the pdf file, which I have downloaded.

It is normal, to have on direct post 1958 made mini chains a mixture of 57er versions and new made minis of federal, imperial and foreign decorations. If there is only one 57er, it is usual, to call this chain a 57er chain.

This is particularly useful information for me and, I would expect, other newbies like me.

You must be aware of not original decorations everytime and everywhere!

This is a particular problem with miniatures, of course, where there is a wider philosophical issue as to how long after an award is made can a miniature be acquired by the awardee and still be considered an 'original'.

Edited by Trooper_D