News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a period newspaper article (in german only, I´m sorry) from 1914 about Veit and his unique medal combo in the German Army. It tells among other things that he received the the golden and silver turkish livesaving medal for rescuing drowning people two times in series!

Gruß Stefan

veit 1.jpg

veit2.jpg

17 hours ago, IR 134 said:

Here is a period newspaper article (in german only, I´m sorry) from 1914 about Veit and his unique medal combo in the German Army. It tells among other things that he received the the golden and silver turkish livesaving medal for rescuing drowning people two times in series!

Stafen thank you so much for sharing this important information!

I have received another piece of information about our guy here. Thanks to Daniel !

This article describes for what he got the Red Eagle 3. Saving a Lady at the Bosporus - and got the Romanian Star Commander with swords for the Balkan wars and the Turkish Gold and Silver Medals.

Hirschfeld.jpg

11 hours ago, ccj said:

Would this be a prewar bar, a second row bar, or his only bar?

It's possible but I doubt so. The reason is there isn't many award could be placed before his HoH3 on lifesaving ribbon according to war time rule, I can think of a EKII but nothing else really. He probably have another full decoration bar with all his awards including EKII, and Turkish gold and silver merit medals. His EK1 was awarded in 1915 for his participation in the Balkan wars.

By the way he did receive the HOH3 on lifesaving ribbon in the middle of WW1. It was gazetted in the Prussian State Gazette (Deutscher Reichs- und Königlich Preußischer Staatsanzeiger). The HOH3 makes me believe this bar might be his interwar bar that intended to show his glorious lifesaving experience solely. And he probably started showing off his lifesaving award already in WWI.

I was lucky enough seeing a photo album of officer corps of Ulanen Reg14. The album contains photo of several Ulanen 14 officers including Georg Veit and his son Otto Veit, I was curious to see both the father and son served in the same unit. There are three photos of Georg Veit, one in civillian dress together with his son, and two photos with him in uniform and I could see he was wearing a light colour ribbon through button hole which might be for his Prussian lifesaving medal, his son Otto wears an EKII ribbon by the way. 

Father and son...

Veit3.jpg

From left, Lt. Veit, Oberst Veit (wear his lifesaving medal through button hole)...

Veit.jpg

Veit (second from right) wear his lifesaving ribbon through button hole. 

Veit2.jpg

His son Otto Veit...

Otto Veit.jpg

Another press photo showing him wearing his EKII ribbon and another black and white ribbon, could it be for his HOH3(on black and white ribbon)?

Veit.jpeg

Edited by lew

• 5 years later...
    On 29/01/2016 at 15:54, lew said:

He probably have another full decoration bar with all his awards including EKII, and Turkish gold and silver merit medals. 

Dear all, I just found a bigger brother bar to the bar that has been originally posted in this thread, please see the photo's. I received the bar today. This bar took me more than 6 month's to acquire, a relieve it finally arrived. If it wasn't for this thread I would never have thought this was a viable and original combination so kudo's to the original poster :cheers: I've also dug up and added Veit's entry in the 1914 rank list. Amazingly he is already listed with having received 12 awards by 1914 ?

Georg Veit - Back.jpg

Georg Veit - Front.jpg

Georg Veit.png

Edited by drspeck

1 hour ago, lew said:

What a find! Congratulations! So the next would be the full medal bar ?

Thanks :cheers: That full medal bar would be the icing on the cake ? I'm keeping my eyes peeled :jumping: