News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bundeswehr unit patches

Some of my Bundeswehr unit patches, all dating from the 1990's to the very early 2000's. Please feel free to add to the thread!

/Jonas

Corps etc

1 Zentrale Militärische Bundeswehrdienststellen

2 WehrbereichskommandoII

3 WehrbereichskommandoVIII

4 Korps u. Territorialkommando Ost

5 Territorialkommando Schleswig-Holstein

6 I.Korps

7 Deutsch-Nederländisches Korps (German part)

8 Eurokorps

Divisions

1 1.Panzerdivision

2 5.Panzerdivision / Wehrbereichskommando IV/5.Panzerdivision

3 6.Panzergrenadierdivision / Wehrbereichskommando I

4 10.Panzerdivision

5 11.Panzergrenadierdivision

6 12.Panzerdivision / Panzerbrigade34

7 13.Panzergrenadierdivision (old version) / Wehrbereichskommando VII/13.Panzergrenadierdivision

8 14.Panzergrenadierdivision / WehrbereichskommandoVIII/14.Panzergrenadierdivision ”Hanse”

9 1.Luftlandedivision / Kommando Spezialkräfte

6.Panzergrenadierdivision

1 6.Panzergrenadierdivision / Wehrbereichskommando I

2 Panzergrenadierbrigade16 ”Herzogtum Lauenburg” (1st brigade)

3 Panzerbrigade18 ”Holstein” (3rd brigade, old manufacture)

4 Panzerbrigade18 ”Holstein” (3rd brigade, new manufacture)

Brigades 1

1 Panzergrenadierbrigade5 ”Kurhessen”

2 Panzerbrigade8 ”Lüneburg”

3 Panzerbrigade12 ”Oberpfalz”

4 Panzergrenadierbrigade19 ”Münsterland”

5 Heimatschutzbrigade51

Brigades 2

1 Heimatschutzbrigade37 / Jägerbrigade37 / Panzergrenadierbrigade37 ”Freistaat Sachsen”

2 Heimatschutzbrigade38 / Panzergrenadierbrigade38 ”Sachsen-Anhalt”

3 Heimatschutzbrigade40 / Panzergrenadierbrigade40

4 Heimatschutzbrigade41 / Panzergrenadierbrigade41 ”Vorpommern”

5 Heimatschutzbrigade42 / Panzerbrigade42 ”Brandenburg”

6 Deutsch-Französische Brigade

GRA,

Nice example of some of the arm badges worn in the BW. For those who haven't studied this subject, there were strict rules about what could go where on the shield. In the regulations, the shiled is divided up intoto numerous sections with a list of what can go in that sector. The higher grade badges must be authorized by the highest authority. Individual units arm badges may be authorized by the CO, usually a General officer, but must still abide by the established regulations. That being said, reserve units took "libetties" with their design and even wore them on combat clothing which was strictly against the regs.

Regards,

Gordon

GRA,

Nice example of some of the arm badges worn in the BW. For those who haven't studied this subject, there were strict rules about what could go where on the shield. In the regulations, the shiled is divided up intoto numerous sections with a list of what can go in that sector. The higher grade badges must be authorized by the highest authority. Individual units arm badges may be authorized by the CO, usually a General officer, but must still abide by the established regulations. That being said, reserve units took "libetties" with their design and even wore them on combat clothing which was strictly against the regs.

Regards,

Gordon

I'm not surprised, those patches intended for the dress uniform seems to be "strictly heraldic", but the patches intended for the field uniform on the other hand are more "relaxed". I've personally seen the 7./PzGrenBtl72 patch being worn on the old BW field uniform, and I think they were smart when designing it, because that patch is more or less a copy of the dress uniform unit badge (to my knowledge, this was no reserve battalion). I'm quite certain that there was a general's approval involved in the Pionier patch, at least a silent approval. As a brigade HQ Coy they would probably have seen more than their share of colonels and generals.

/Jonas

Guest talltom

jonas fantastic pictures thanks for sharing

heres a quick shot of a panzergrenadier patch set early and late (the early is the one with black thread around outside)

jonas fantastic pictures thanks for sharing

heres a quick shot of a panzergrenadier patch set early and late (the early is the one with black thread around outside)

Thanks Tom!

I found a metal embroidered version of the 1.Panzerdivision patch in the stash, here it is next to its more common brother. Your white-bordered patch seems to be Panzergrenadierbrigade 1 or Panzerlehrbrigade 9, depending on when it was used (when PzGrenBrig1 was disbanded, PzLehrBrig9 inherited the patch). The division patch is the striped border version.

Striped border - division

White border - 1st brigade of the division

Red border - 2nd brigade of the division

Yellow border - 3rd brigade of the division

/Jonas

Guest talltom

Thanks Tom!

I found a metal embroidered version of the 1.Panzerdivision patch in the stash, here it is next to its more common brother. Your white-bordered patch seems to be Panzergrenadierbrigade 1 or Panzerlehrbrigade 9, depending on when it was used (when PzGrenBrig1 was disbanded, PzLehrBrig9 inherited the patch). The division patch is the striped border version.

Striped border - division

/Jonas

fantastic info Jonas this really is a brilliant thead learning a lot :rock on:

tom

Hi,

Silvery (striped) border - division

German text "silberfarbene Umrandung" > silvery border

white-red-yellow is in German weiß-rot-gelb, to remember for us with the mnemonic command (Merkwort) wir rauchen gerne

Uwe

Hello Uwe!

Thanks for a further explanation as to the borders! Were the metal-emboidered patches (obviously private purchase, or?) intended for and allowed to wear by all ranks, or were they strictly officers use only?

/Jonas

Hi Jonas,

yes, they are private bought, everybody could wear them.

And you can often find officers and generals with the simple unit patch on their daily used jackets.

Uwe

Thanks again Uwe!

I actually expected them to be "officers only", as I can't recall ever having seen one being worn back in the mid-90's to early 2000's when I used to run into Reservists and the occasional serving soldier from time to time (surprisingly, as my friend often had his own ideas about dress regulations etc, I'd have expected him to wear one, maybe they weren't available for his division?). One learns something new every day!

/Jonas

GRA,

Normally, when you find a tunic with the private purchase, metallic embroiderd arm badge you will find that the owner has also purchased special shoulder boards. Makes a very smart looking tunic.

Regards,

Gordon

I believe you Gordon. I remember seeing some of these custom-made qualification badges at a civvy street tailor in Kiel some 15 years ago, it was obviously mostly naval badges in the window, but if I recall correctly, there was one or two army badges too. I also remember that they didn't come for free!

/Jonas

• 7 months later...

Hello to all,

is somebody interested to swap:

I have ALL modern "unit patches" and like to swap "US ribbon bars, miniatures and medal decorations".

I really have the lastest things "european battlegroup" "Nato response force" and a lot more.

• 5 months later...

Chris,

it was a short episode of these regiments in the Bundeswehr from 1970 to 1975. Panzerregiment 300 never existed.

I have 2 documents showing problems in the responsibilities for Panzerregiment 100, and I have, additional to the three patches, a cased medal of Panzerregiment 100, remembering the date of the foundation, 25.3.1970.

Please have a look on "Regimenter":

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Panzerverb%C3%A4nde_der_Bundeswehr

Uwe