News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mysterious “Dragon” Badge (a.k.a. “Dragon & Star” Badge)

JapanX

These heart-shape badges …

What are they? What for?

Some say they could be some sort of military alliance badges....

Others say that they are some sort of volunteer doctor group badges…

Nope.

I don’t think so.

But let’s take a close look at different variations of these elegant badges.

There are at least four different variations of this badge.

Considerations

Obverse: what we have here is three-finger Japanese dragon with colour star or star with some kind of jewel (Watatsumi-no-Kami? – Dragon God of water and protector of

Japan). Star in the centre of the bow is obviously representing imperial army (or connection with it).

Reverse: on background enamel red we see kanji Doumei (join, cooperation, brotherhood or alliance).

Why somebody would think that this is volunteer doctor group of badges?

Maybe this badge is responsible?

This badge has similar form and dragon on obverse (nice looking cat on reverse by the way :)). The obverse kanji reads Yakushido (Yakushi Hall – Buddhist temple) and Nakiryuu (Crying Dragon). The reverse kanji reads Nikkosan (area name). The Yakushi temple was built to venerate the “medicine Buddha” known as Yakushi in Japanese. But I think the link between this badge and previous group of badges is pretty weak (to put it mildly). No stars in sight ;)

Why somebody would think that this may be military alliance (between two countries) group of badges? Maybe because of the bow ribbon colours (especially in case of ribbon colours for variation 2 and variation 3) and reverse inscription (cooperation/alliance)? But what about variation 1 and variation 4 badges? What kind the alliance is this?

Personally I don’t like these hypotheses. I think chances are pretty high that this is some unknown to us patriotic/army support/service women’s association badge.

What do you think? ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

This badge has similar form and dragon on obverse (nice looking cat on reverse by the way :)). The obverse kanji reads Yakushido (Yakushi Hall – Buddhist temple) and Nakiryuu (Crying Dragon). The reverse kanji reads Nikkosan (area name). The Yakushi temple was built to venerate the “medicine Buddha” known as Yakushi in Japanese. But I think the link between this badge and previous group of badges is pretty weak (to put it mildly). No stars in sight ;)

The cat is 'nemuri-neko,' a somewhat famous symbol. See here:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nemuri-neko

Actually, I am ashamed to admit that I had solved the mystery of these badges a year or so ago and then lost all the information. It was online somewhere, and I thought I had copied and pasted it, and then I either lost the latter or perhaps had forgotten to copy it. And no use examining my memory since I just skimmed the info because of a lack of time. Anyway, the answer is out there. The key is in the box inscription, so if anyone has that, I think we could find out everything.

Edited by fukuoka

Yakushi-dou is not the name of a hall; it is the name of a type of Buddhism centered upon the Medicine Buddha. There are quite a few Yakushi-dou temples across Japan (and in other countries under different names). See here if interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhaisajyaguru

In addition, Nikkou-san probably refers to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinnō-ji

And Yakushi-dou is not the name of a hall; it is a type of Buddhist temple devoted to the Medicine Buddha. There are quite a few of these kinds of temples in Japan and in other countries (under different names, of course). If interested, see here:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Bhaisajyaguru

(SORRY: Double posted the last paragraph.)

Edited by fukuoka

And no use examining my memory since I just skimmed the info because of a lack of time.

Info is still somewhere in subconsciousness!

Examine your dreams Rich! :)

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. Thanks for additional info about Yakushi-dou and Nikkou-san ;)

• 4 months later...

Anyway, the answer is out there. The key is in the box inscription, so if anyone has that, I think we could find out everything.

Rings a bell Rich? :whistle:

Or too blurred?

Edited by JapanX