News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello forum :)

Recently my Uncle here in Ireland bought this small painting for €3 in a junk sale.

MXfEf.jpg

Signature

VkW0D.jpg

He failed to notice the unusual stamp on the back.

fbbOG.jpg

I promised him that I would do my best to find out more about the stamp and somehow maybe find out some info on the artist. I'm curious to find out what the back story to this painting might be. The subject matter looks like a landscape somewhere in the Alps so I would assume that this painting was not stolen and then stamped by the SS. Was the artist (B.walk?) in the SS?

I've tried to look for info on the stamp myself but I was unable to find any matches to it probably because I was looking for combinations of SS-Flak battalions which it seems there were none although i'm probably wrong!

Any insight on the stamp and the artist would be most appreciated, thanks for your time :)

• 7 months later...

The painting itself matches the romantic views of the Fatherland that would have been celebrated in Nazi circles at the time so that part makes sense. Apart from that view I am no expert on art but it would appear the stamp would have been to catalog certain items for domestic use in the Waffen-SS, maybe hung in a mess hall or Officers quarters? I would not expect it to be stolen art considering the frame and topic of the pic, but that is just my opinion. Fascinating piece though, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Cheers,

Pat