News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Medals and Badges of Camp Hearne, Texas

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this article, it has a lot of special meaning to me. My family is originally from Bryan, Texas (about 15 miles from Hearne). Ny mother was a nurse during WWII and went to Camp Hearne whenever new POW's arrived to work with the doctors that checked them out on their arrival. She told me a lot of stories about their trips to attend to the sick and wounded soldiers housed there. The Geneva Convention said that prisoners had to be housed in a climate that approximated where they were captured. Since most of these POW's came from North Africa, someone decided Hearne was as close as they could get. There was great apprehension as the prisoners first arrived. In the early 40's, rural Texas had some far fetched notions of what Nazi soldiers actually looked like. She said that as people saw that they looked just about like anyone else, they became a relatively accepted member of the community. When I was young I remember my mother introducing me to a guy that once worked there. I can remember he had a coffee can full of cufftitles and medals he said he traded for cigarettes (I was only 8, so no, I didn't get them). From what I understand, there was a fairly large contingent of POW's who liked the Texas climate so much that they moved back here after the war ended. I really enjoyed being able to put a picture to some of the stories I remember as a child. Thanks for sharing!

• 1 year later...

Hello Michael,

Very interesting article, thank you for showing it here.

Here is a picture that is also take in Camp Hearne :rolleyes: => showing 3 former Lw. soldies who where made P.O.W. in Tunesia Mai 1943. They all did belong towards the I. Lw. Regt. "Barenthin" :cheers:

Cordial greetings,

Hello Michael,

Very interesting article, thank you for showing it here.

Here is a picture that is also take in Camp Hearne :rolleyes: => showing 3 former Lw. soldies who where made P.O.W. in Tunesia Mai 1943. They all did belong towards the I. Lw. Regt. "Barenthin" :cheers:

Cordial greetings,

Stijn David,

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. That is a GREAT photo!! Thanks for posting it. I'm thinking about expanding the article into a book. I am planning a trip to the Camp Hearne site and meet there with Dr. Michael Waters and his archeology students. I will also go to Texas A&M to see and scan the artifacts from the site. It's just a matter of Dr. Waters schedule. I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress.

:beer: Doc

Stijn David,

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. That is a GREAT photo!! Thanks for posting it. I'm thinking about expanding the article into a book. I am planning a trip to the Camp Hearne site and meet there with Dr. Michael Waters and his archeology students. I will also go to Texas A&M to see and scan the artifacts from the site. It's just a matter of Dr. Waters schedule. I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress.

:beer: Doc

That is a great article. I cannot see the pics though... :-(

• 7 months later...

Michael has kindly made available this interesting article for distribution on GMIC.

All work is copyright to Michael Riley and all that is left for me to say is a big thanks for allowing us all at GMIC to read your work.

Enjoy :cheers:

Thank you so much for this great artical, I printed out a copy for my self for better reading and viewing.

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 1 year later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 4 months later...

Hello there,

Very interesting article and thank you for sharing.

Is there a prisoner name list for this camp? Do you know if anyone there was required to pick cotton? The reason I ask is that a friends father (last name of Kukuk) was a POW, and I believe sent to Texas to work a cotton-field.

William Kramer