News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some new medals

I picked these up at the calgary Gun show today :)

First off is an adorable 5 place mini bar to a WW1 vet, it consists opf:

The War Cross 1914 - 1918 with palm, The Victory Medal 1914 - 1918, The War Commerative Medal, Military Decoration for Long Sevice, and the Civil Decoration for Long Service in the administration 3rd class which would suggest a member of lower rank.

Finally and probably the rarest is the Commemorative Medal 1870 -1871. This was awarded to all military and former military personel who served in the mobilized Belgian army between 15 July 1870 and 5 march 1871.

Thanks for looking

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. :cheers: When I came to the sellers table the mini bar caught my eye, however I passed on it and looked at other medals he had, I went to purchase the Leopold II Silver medal when he showed me the Commemorative Medal 1870 -1871, which I jumped on instantly. I finished checking out the show and had a change of heart and went and bought the mini's on the way out the door.

later

Larry

Great finds Larry were these from the gent who was selling French medals in bulk? I thought it was a great show and got a few nice pieces and came home with way more cash than i arrived with. I look forward to next years show.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for that. I don't know if he was selling bulk lot's. His table was at the end of th last row to the left when you enter the hall. He had longish gery hair and spoke with a European accent, could have been German. I left with more cash in my pocket than I thought I would.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to say this but I think your Golden Medal in the Order of Leopold II with crossed swords 40-45 isn't correct.

Based on the Royal Decree of 24 January 1994, creation of the crossed swords Korea, it says that the crossed swords must be worn on the highest decoration received in a chivalry order that is at least a Knight in the Order of Leopold II.

It is most likely that the Royal Decree of 18 april 1983, creation of the crossed swords 40-45, say the same.

Personally I would describe the Commemorative Medal 1870 -1871 as an uncommen medal (but I live in it's country of origin, Belgium) instead of a rare one. The earlier, unofficial, medal and the Commemorative Cross of the 1830 Volunteers are examples of medals that are much harder to find.

hello

Thanks for the info, the medal is actually silver. If I am not mistaken it was issued to Pte/Cpl's for 20 years service, career Corporals were not unheard of back then.

I based the "Rare" on the fact that when I was researching it I could not find many on the web.

Sincerely

Larry

I know a corporal gets a Military Decoration 2nd class for 10 year of service and a 1st class for an additional 5 years. It is likely they receive a medal of a chivalry order for 20 years of service.

I don't know if I'm misunderstood but I don't say the medal is a fake. All I say is that the crossed swords shoudn't be worn on a Silver Medal (sorry for my mistake in my previous post) in the Order of Leopold II. However it is possible that the original recipient of the medal put this crossed swords on his medal.

Vincent

I know a corporal gets a Military Decoration 2nd class for 10 year of service and a 1st class for an additional 5 years. It is likely they receive a medal of a chivalry order for 20 years of service.

I don't know if I'm misunderstood but I don't say the medal is a fake. All I say is that the crossed swords shoudn't be worn on a Silver Medal (sorry for my mistake in my previous post) in the Order of Leopold II. However it is possible that the original recipient of the medal put this crossed swords on his medal.

Vincent

Vincent

Hello Vincent

Thanks for the reply. For the record I understood what you were saying. I appreciate your information, that was going to be my next question, in that the recipient wanted to illustrate his wartime service. On the other hand it could be a collector/seller who added the swords to the medal. I will leave it as it is for the time being......

Nice score Larry! The mini bar is pretty darned cool. Did you see any nice Beamte or LW stuff at the show?

Hi Paul

Not realy, in fact I was a little disapointed. There was one tunic for a Obrest level white career Heer Beamte, however I got the impression that it was a humped up tunic. I did not like the lining and there were no marks inside. I was realy captivated by the mini bar, glad I bought it.

later

Larry

A nice thing to know is that there are three kinds of crossed swords: bronze, silver and gold. The color (not sure if it is also the material) depends on the "wartitles" the recipient received.

unfortunately I haven't seen the royal decree of it's creation so I can't tell how many "wartitles" you need for a silver one.

Wartitles are divided in "Time" and "Personal Merit"

For "Time" a wartitle is received after a period of time of service (for Korea: 6 months = 1wartitle) or when present in a unit during combat (battles recognized by royal decree) count as 1 wartitlle.

For Korea there is also one wartitle for being, uninterupted, present in a unit from 1951 till 1953. I guess something like that also apply for 40-45.

For "Personal Merit" the wartitles are medals that are received during the war (recognized by royal decree(s)) and a wound stripe.

For Korea (again) a person needed 6 wartitles for a bronze crossed swords, 8 for a silver one and 10 or more for a gilded silver one.