News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo Officer ( General ? ) with breast order decoration

Austro-Hungarian soldiers are still a mistery for me, never collected this subject.

Yesterday I got this photo on a fleamarket in the neighborhood:

Questions:

What rank ?

Is he austrian or hungarian ?

What medals does he have ?

Maybe somebody recognizes him by name ?

And for those who want to know - I do not collect photos anymore, so if anybody is interested, contact me - it will be for sale.

Kind regards

Robert

Well- I reckon Glenn J. will know who he is. The medals are the Military merit, the war medal and the officers' LS medal. I do not know about the breast star-but it looks like a higher version of the Italian Order of the iron Crown to me-which would be odd given Austro- Italian enmity @ 1900.

It is an Oberst (Colonel) in the Austrian Imperial Army

Decorations (left to right)

- Militär Verdienstkreuz (Military Merit Cross )

- Bronzene Kriegsmedaille 1873 (Bronze War Medal)

- Militärdienstzeichen für Offiziere (Long Service Decoration for officers)

- Stern zur Orden der Eisernen Krone (breast star of the Order of the Iron Crown) with sash.

The sash is yellow with blue borders, due to the Doppler Effect the yellow looks darker than the blue. This is seen many times on medal ribbons, and it leads to much confusion with people who are unaware of this effect.

I think a better candidate is General der Cavallerie Christoph Graf von Degenfeld-Schonburg, commanding general of the VII. Army Corps in Temesvar between 1883 and 1889 and Inhaber of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 83. Picture to follow.

Regards

Glenn