News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US High School/College Class rings..do you still wear yours?

Hi guys,

I've only very recently started to collect US High School, College and University class rings after I bought one the other day on a whim. I've found them to be beautifully crafted and great pieces of social history.

The metal they can be manufactured from is sometimes a little unusual (Celestrium, Ultrium, Futurium and other metals ending with "rium" ) but I've found the 10 and 14K gold examples to be particularly beautiful.

I was wondering if there are any US members that still have and in fact still wear their class ring and what significance if any it has to you?

Regards

Dave

Edited by Dave B

I still have my high school ring from Norwich Free Academy. 10k gold from Balfour. I wear it once in awhile, but not often because it is a larger heavy ring on a small hand. It does have the distinction of being the only gold ring that I have not mangled beyond recognition because it is so heavy.

Did not purchase a High School Ring. Being of modest means and college bound, I decided to pass on that. Besides, wife went to the same high school as classmate and has one...!

College was very much another story. Ring is very meaningful to me and I wear it constantly - even in Vietnam where, if shot down in "Bad Indian Territory" - it could have presented a problem. It serves as a constant reminder of the institution's ideals and the splendid bunch of men in my class.

Have both; don't wear either. Same with my wife; two - wears neither. No real sentimental attachment to these bits. Then again, I don't usually wear a watch either. Only my wedding band. I think these rings are a thing of the past - neither of my two sons desired a high school ring and my daughter now a HS junior has no interest either. I see almost no one wearing one today in the business executive realm. A bit of an anachronism.

I never purchased a college ring... don't know why; just didn't. Perhaps it is because (at least in my mind) my high school, Fork Union Military Academy, was a hard act to follow. Very tough school (I was there from January 1968 until May 1972) and quite rewarding knowing that you got through it. I did get a class ring there which I do wear upon occassion; cost me $52 back in 1971 and it was made by Balfour, I believe. 10 karat with a tall shank and smooth red setting. Very heavy; someone told me it was 17 penny weight (whatever that means). I guess getting through FUMA matters more to me than what I did in college; it certainly prepared me for the Navy and college, that's for sure.

A ring was produced for the recommissioning of the USS New Jersey BB-62 by Jostens, but I never had the opportunity to get one; I put it off, as it was somewhat expensive, thinking I had all the time in the world. Well, that time "stopped" in Beirut in 1983 as I was MEDEVACed out of the area and off the ship. I have always wanted one of those rings; maybe I'll find one someday before it's all over.

I still wear my high school ring and have every day since I got it in 1980. I figure I earned it, since my boarding school was an educational endurance test. It also matters, as occasionally someone notices the crest and strikes up a conversation. I got a government analyst's job once because a fellow alum (who was also wearing his ring) vouched for me. I figure I'll be buried with my ring.

I am not unusual. Most alumni of my school are fiercely loyal to the old place. My son also wants to go next year, so he'll be 3rd generation.

I still have my high school ring from Norwich Free Academy. 10k gold from Balfour. I wear it once in awhile, but not often because it is a larger heavy ring on a small hand. It does have the distinction of being the only gold ring that I have not mangled beyond recognition because it is so heavy.

I think out of all of the Sr Military colleges in the US, Norvich and VMI have the largest rings. Citadel and Texas AM have very similar rings. Virgina Tech; don't anything about. Is Norwich Free Academy the same as Norwich (Military)? If I am not mistaken, alumni get a Gold Ring with a stone in it and a "Combat Ring" that is Silver with no stones right?

I think out of all of the Sr Military colleges in the US, Norvich and VMI have the largest rings. Citadel and Texas AM have very similar rings. Virgina Tech; don't anything about. Is Norwich Free Academy the same as Norwich (Military)? If I am not mistaken, alumni get a Gold Ring with a stone in it and a "Combat Ring" that is Silver with no stones right?

Norwich Free Academy is a "private" high school in Norwich, CT that pre-dates the American Civil War. It has an Art Museum, Planetarium and Observatory on Campus. For me the big draw was the language program, I was able to take Italian 3, French 3, Latin 2 and Russian 1 all at the same time. I loved it.

Norwich University indeed has some HUGE class rings. I was actually accepted into the Military College of Vermont, went up to spend four days with others who were accepted after getting into the Naval Academy as an alternate. Unfortunately, I did not attend either to my great regret.

Lost my Naval Academy ring in Viet Nam, but my wife got me a replacement which I wear every day. As others have noted, it has significance becuase of the grief it took to get it.

ostprussenman,

Virginia Tech (Virginia Polytchnic Institute and State University when I was there) has a huge number of styles, stones and even gold (and other metal) types that it can cause sensory overload trying to pick one- this is definitely NOT an overstatement. The type usually chosen by "manly men" is very large with a square-cut setting; slightly larger than my FUMA ring. In thinking back and remembering viewing the display, I never knew gold could have so many varieties as what I saw offered.

By the way, the Cadet Corps at Tech does not comprise the majority of the University. When I was there (early '70's) there were only about 800 cadets, and about four times that in civilian students.

Many thanks for the replies guys, very interesting reading indeed!

I was hoping if you all have time could you possibly post up some photos of your class rings? I'm waiting for a few rings to arrive from the States, so as soon as I have them I will post a couple of pics of my small collection.

Couple of questions....Are the rings only offered/available at graduation time and who provides them, is it the school/college itself or does a representative from a ring company visit the school? (although looking at the Jostens and Balfour website I see you can order your school ring online now).

Edited by Dave B

As far as company reps, I believe this is handled on a case by case basis. At FUMA, the choices were, at the time I went, red or blue setting- hence the order could be taken by an employee of the Saber Shop (cadet store on campus). May not be the same for all cases. We bought ours sometime in the middle of our junior (11th grade) year; 1971 for me. Costs me $52 back then and I thought that was highway robbery; man, have times changed! Here's a few images of the beast, dings and all. Sorry for the soft focus on the maker's mark- I and the camera disagreed; the camera won.

Many thanks for the replies guys, very interesting reading indeed!

I was hoping if you all have time could you possibly post up some photos of your class rings? I'm waiting for a few rings to arrive from the States, so as soon as I have them I will post a couple of pics of my small collection.

Couple of questions....Are the rings only offered/available at graduation time and who provides them, is it the school/college itself or does a representative from a ring company visit the school? (although looking at the Jostens and Balfour website I see you can order your school ring online now).

I can't speak for all military colleges, but the Citadel's Alumni Association has the obligation to buy back any rings that are offered for sale on the public market. occasionally they show up in pawn shops and ebay. The cadets at the Citadel pay for and only own 49% of their rings and the school owns 51%. I will post some pictures of mine. Another neat fact about our rings is that Alumni who pass away are given the option of either being buried with it or give it back to the citadel, where the ring is melted down and added to the graduating class's rings. I believe the year that I graduated, we had a '42; '54; '67 grad's rings melted down. Honestly, I can tell you that when I eventually pass, mine is going back to the Alumni association.

Thankyou Dave for starting such a good thread. This Forum is starting to get replies - but not the detail we

would like to attract.

I have heard about US classrings for many years - and have always assumed that they would be something

made a little on the 'cheap' side because of numbers. I am obviously quite wrong and would encourage members

to post examples. I will make a short entry on one of the side bars to alert people.

With the British - older men can often be found wearing Masonic rings and it is traditional for a young man

to be given a gold signet ring on his 21 st. Birthday. This is worn on the small finger of the RIGHT hand in

order to press it into wax - hence a signet ring. You will see a good example of this on Prince Charles.

Dave you have specifically aimed the post for the US class rings - and I think there is a lot of interest for the future.

Perhaps - at some point - you would like to make a further post covering World rings of a personal interest ? Mervyn

I can't speak for all military colleges, but the Citadel's Alumni Association has the obligation to buy back any rings that are offered for sale on the public market. occasionally they show up in pawn shops and ebay. The cadets at the Citadel pay for and only own 49% of their rings and the school owns 51%. I will post some pictures of mine. Another neat fact about our rings is that Alumni who pass away are given the option of either being buried with it or give it back to the citadel, where the ring is melted down and added to the graduating class's rings. I believe the year that I graduated, we had a '42; '54; '67 grad's rings melted down. Honestly, I can tell you that when I eventually pass, mine is going back to the Alumni association.

Thank you for sharing this. I think that this is really really neat information. I think that the addition of the melted gold from previous Alumnus class rings adds tradition and a deeper meaning to the ring.

I'll take some pictures of my class ring to share.

Here's my Naval Academy ring from the Class of 1961. We receive the ring at the end of our third (2nd class) year. The rings are commemorated at the Ring Dance at which time our One and Only wears the ring around her neck on a blue ribbon. The ring is quite heavy, so it bounces off her collar bone, threatening to leave bruises. During the course of the dance, each One and Only dunks the ring into a binnacle fill with water from the Seven Seas. (My now-wife was nervous, so she bent over so far that she also dunked her hair in the salt water.)

Edited by Hugh