RRicardo

For Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Hi,

A friend ofer me this medal with a R.A.O.C. tab, but I'm not sure if the name at medal rim is from a ex-R.A.O.C. member. Please, is it possible from this images to confirm it? Is it possible to know too if this medal was issued at WW2 periode?

x1hehg.jpg

2z80yt3.jpg

281byo5.jpg

24qvepz.jpg

Regards,

Ricardo

Hi,

A friend ofer me this medal with a R.A.O.C. tab, but I'm not sure if the name at medal rim is from a ex-R.A.O.C. member. Please, is it possible from this images to confirm it? Is it possible to know too if this medal was issued at WW2 periode?

x1hehg.jpg

2z80yt3.jpg

281byo5.jpg

24qvepz.jpg

Regards,

Ricardo

All one can say is that it was issued between 1937-48 so there is a fair chance it is WWII issue.

Paul

Ricardo,

The service number certainly suggest a R.A.O.C. enlistment (7574001 - 7657000 and 10530001 - 10600000).

If I read the servicenumber correct, I would say that this is the LSGC awarded to 7582865 Jack Leslie Gates R.A.O.C.

From Cadet to 2nd Lieutenant on 14th July 1945: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37236/supplements/4277

Relinguished his commission 7th January 1948: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/38361/supplements/4237

There was two Jack Leslie Gates that fit the bill. First: born 23rd March 1911 Southwick, Sussex - Died July 1994. Second: born third quarter of 1912, West Derby, Lancashire - Died third quarter of 1974.

I would say that this medal was awarded during WW2.

Bjoern

Hi,

Many Thanks you two for the reply and very good news.

Regards,

Ricardo.

According to my records of RAOC LSGC awards Gates was awarded the LS Medal in 1943

According to my records of RAOC LSGC awards Gates was awarded the LS Medal in 1943

Hi Ralph,

Many thanks for your reply. Please where can I research something more about Gates RAOC career?

Hi Ricardo,

Unfortunately the option of a "Freedom of Information" request does not appear possibile as you need a death certificate proving death 25 years or more ago....

I can offer following:

Appears to have joined as a boy in 1924 at Hilsea (RAOC Depot).

Started" Mans" service 23,3,1929

Passed exam for promotion to L/Corporal 2/9/1935

Appointed L/Cpl withiut pay 30/7/1936

L/Cpl with pay 1/4/1938

Temp. Sgt 1/4/39 (Appointed Permanent L/Sgt 14/6.1939)

Temp Staff Sgt Oct 1940

Promoted Staff Sgt 26.12.40

Was employed in the Stores Section of the RAOC as a Clerk I. Held first Class Certificate of Education

Edited by Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Great informations about Gates career, thank you again.

Regards,

Ricardo