News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help wanted 175th Brigade Royal Field artillery Family ID 1916

Hi I was hoping some one may have a legend of names for the photo of the 175th Bde RFA. I'm looking for my Grandfathers brother Gunner Bert Strappini 89167 RFA Killed 9th June 1917. Attached photo, if some one has a better resolution Picture.

He died age 20 at Messiness ridge. No pictures exist except this group shot I'm trying to id. And were his medals issued and to whom.

Kind Regards

Strapper

• 1 year later...

89167 Gunner Bert Strapini was in 3 Coy, 1st Contingent of the 9th Div. Ammo Coy when he left Guernsey, on his recovery presumably after being wounded 21st June 1916? he was sent to D/175 Brigade.

The Guernsey Weekly Press will have grainy photos of the men in the Contingent at the Priaulx Library, Candie Gardens Guernsey.

From our website:-

http://www.greatwarci.net/honour/guernsey/database/strappini-b-bonjean.htm

If you have any details or photos you wish to add to our website please let me know.

Mark

1RGLI

Edited by 1RGLI

• 4 months later...

Hi I'm Dave, new to the site

I've been researching the history of 175 brigade for a few years, that photo is from my website https://sites.google.com/site/175brigaderfa/, It is of my Grandfathers battery which was A/175 and was taken in November 1918. Bert Strappini was a member of D/175, (which was the 4.5" howitzer battery), If I can be of any help, the website has all the details from the war diaries, or contact me here. I have a better resolution photo, as I have the original, but obviously not much help to you, as a different battery, and after Bert was killed. I have visited his grave as part of my travels, but didn't take photos.

Regards

Dave

Thanks all for the information on Bert, he was my grandfathers brother, and killed so young he hardly had time to impact on anyone's lives besides his parents and siblings, and of course those in his battery. I was also wondering why he wasn't in the RGLI like most of the men, but in an " English" unit. But thanks for the info on the pic, I can stop scanning the faces for any family resemblance..dammit.

Kind regards and thank you

David Strappini