News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual Naval Group - With Russian Medals

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odulf - I agree with you that there is nothing to show he was a P.O.. Perhaps he served on board one of

his postings where a bosun's whistle was required ? Mervyn

In the US Navy, it is possible (but unusual) for a leading seaman in the deck division to be called upon to use the bosun's pipe.

In the US Navy, it is possible (but unusual) for a leading seaman in the deck division to be called upon to use the bosun's pipe.

Seamen who are striking Boatswain Mates learn to use it as well. We had a couple during my time on my ship.

All interesting information and nice that it included the US. Oduf was right to raise the queries - it is how we

establish fact from fiction.

Alex - one of the Soviet experts will have to answer your question on the Russian awards. The main document

seems to have been the one with the medals pinned to it - and then a couple of printed sheets. Mervyn

Alex - one of the Soviet experts will have to answer your question on the Russian awards. The main document

seems to have been the one with the medals pinned to it - and then a couple of printed sheets. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

With a picture of the reverse of the two Russian medals I would be able to tell. The difference between the "normal" versions and foreigner's version of the 40th anniversary of victory medal is that the normal versions have either "participant of the war" or "participant of the labor front" written in Russian on the reverse along the upper rim. The foreigner's version has no writing there, just the few words under the number 40. The foreigner's version is quite rare.

Alex

Hi Mervyn

A very good group of medals, with the bonus of many associated items. I presume you have applied for a copy of his service record, which should reveal his final rank and other facts about his life and naval service.

A distant relative who died recently was also awarded the two Russian medals. The Russian Embassy tracked him down and arranged for the hand-over of the medals. This man was also MiD, in his instance it was for shooting down a plane during the landings at Salerno.

Regards

Brett

Hi Mervyn,

With a picture of the reverse of the two Russian medals I would be able to tell. The difference between the "normal" versions and foreigner's version of the 40th anniversary of victory medal is that the normal versions have either "participant of the war" or "participant of the labor front" written in Russian on the reverse along the upper rim. The foreigner's version has no writing there, just the few words under the number 40. The foreigner's version is quite rare.

Alex

Alex,

I bet that medal in Mervyn group will have (if Mervyn will show the reverse ;)) "участнику войны"/"participant of the war" inscription.

As far as I understand foreigner's version was awarded during 1985

and english 1991 transh (for NAVY) included only medals with "участнику войны"/"participant of the war" on reverse.

Edited by JapanX

And another interesting medal from same vintage.

This one was issued for Davies M.O.

Medal has the same inscription "участнику войны"/"participant of the war", but unfortunatly I don`t have pictures of reverse.

Edited by JapanX

In conclusion another example of document from 1991 (from Mondvor site).

Please note that this document is for medal with inscription "участнику войны"/"participant of the war" ;)

:cheers:

Nick

Edited by JapanX