News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nationalist China Medal of Armed Forces

JapanX

Doolittle Raider Ed Saylor proudly holds his replacement medal.

The replacement medal was presented to Saylor by Dr. Lin Huang on behalf of the Republic of China (Taiwan). Joining in the presentation is Saylor family friend Phil Raschke (L) of Lakewood.

Edited by JapanX

• Replies 124
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting that they should refer to this medal as "Order of the Clouds". I see the photo, but it makes you wonder if somehow they're referring to the "Order of Cloud and Banner" which was widely awarded to US AAF pilots. For example, the attached photo shows the Order of Cloud and Banner which was awarded to my English teacher in high school for flying the Hump in C-47s. (See attachment) It's also sometimes referred to as the Order of Resplendent Banner.

Interesting that they should refer to this medal as "Order of the Clouds". I see the photo, but it makes you wonder if somehow they're referring to the "Order of Cloud and Banner" which was widely awarded to US AAF pilots. For example, the attached photo shows the Order of Cloud and Banner which was awarded to my English teacher in high school for flying the Hump in C-47s. (See attachment) It's also sometimes referred to as the Order of Resplendent Banner.

Cool teacher!

Nice order!

Could you please (if you have time) tell us more about the recipient/ time of awarding/ number of award/ any documents?/any photos of cavalier?/ any personal recollections about him? :)

Maybe even in separate thread?

Yes, I thought about this too - medal/order...

But is it really possible?

This is replacement, so I think that Taiwan authorities checked their archives.

I wonder if this is just another journalist mistake (created by some misunderstanding?)

Regards,

Nick

P.S. Interesting issue about the name of this order.

The original name is 雲麾勳章.

Where

雲 - cloud

麾 - banner (if noun) and glad/happy (if verb)

勳章 - medal/decoration

The second hieroglyph is the probable cause of these two variants :)

Gordon Alone Rust was a pilot in the American Army Air Force assigned to flying supplies from Burma to China across the Hump in World War II. I assume that he received the medal during or shortly after the war. He gave me the medal in 1957, when I was impersonating Prince Ranier of Monaco (another long, different story). I have no photographs or documents. He was a tall man married to a local socialite, a member of the Du Pont family. He actually looked a bit Chinese himself - sallow complexion, narrow eyes, dark hair (what was left). He was a good teacher, but mostly didn't seem to have a sense of humor, so we were all surprised when he let me have the medal. It was one of the first in my collection. The ribbon has been replaced, of course, but I still have the original.

I have no sources to research data on the award, but if anyone else does, I'd love to hear more about it.

TAIWAN - Order of Cloud and Banner, 6th Class (Resplendent Banner –Lieo Deng Yun Huei - Magnus 4), reverse numbered 2156/, inscribed in Chinese

Gordon A. Rust, Wilmington, DE, 1957

I agree, the confusion about the name is quite likely due to the newspaper writer.

Best,

Hugh

Gordon Alone Rust was a pilot in the American Army Air Force assigned to flying supplies from Burma to China across the Hump in World War II. I assume that he received the medal during or shortly after the war. He gave me the medal in 1957, when I was impersonating Prince Ranier of Monaco (another long, different story). I have no photographs or documents. He was a tall man married to a local socialite, a member of the Du Pont family. He actually looked a bit Chinese himself - sallow complexion, narrow eyes, dark hair (what was left). He was a good teacher, but mostly didn't seem to have a sense of humor, so we were all surprised when he let me have the medal. It was one of the first in my collection. The ribbon has been replaced, of course, but I still have the original.

Very interesting!

Thanks Hugh!

Prince Ranier of Monaco...

But you chose the NAVY :)

I agree, the confusion about the name is quite likely due to the newspaper writer.

Wait until you'll see how they described Doolittle medal in the museum!

I'll post the photo tomorrow ;)

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Nice definition of award № 23 :)

Not to mention that they actually mixed № 22 and № 23 ...

But the strangest thing is that our Hero has A grade 1st class (at least it looks like A grade 1st class ) on ribbon from A grade 2nd class!!!

And the ribbon looks suspiciously new ...

I wonder when did he got this one ...

Another invistigation ;)

So we have a bar for Order of Cloud and Banner, but no signs of the Medal of Armed Forces ...

When did he get his Cloud?

My estimate - no early than 1944 no later than 1946.

Here we have interesting photo of Doolittle's dress uniform (collection of Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum)

Again no signs of our Medal...

Now allow me to remind you that from January 1944 to September 1945, Doolittle held his largest command, the Eighth Air Force (8 AF) in England. Good thing that I find exellent photos of his tunic exactly from this time period ;)

Check this OuT!

The strangest thing is the absence of Medal of Armed Forces bar...

Here we have last known (to me it is ;)) of General in uniform.

Most likely it was taken in 1985 shortly after he got his fouth star.

Edited by JapanX