News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A silver made submarine badge

Phil2012

Hello, there!

Searching badges for my collection of "Typhoon" submarines badges and medals, I found this one some months ago:

35ipq55.jpg

2j5bga9.jpg

It's 1 5/8 high and 1 2/8 wide (4cm X 3,2cm). This badge "For long range campaign" is accompanied by an additional "ribbon" for the 300th anniversary of the Fleet.

I found this hot-enamelled badge on a wellknown auction site, and the seller didn't know anything about it. He wrote that submariners were awarded with this badge after 300 days immersed. The photo of his ad was of low quality (fuzzy, to much yellow tainted...) so I couldn't see any important detail. But as this badge features a "Typhoon" submarine, I bought it! By examining the badge as soon as I received it, I immediately noticed the metal, which was not the usual brass: it was silver!

Here are the hallmarks on the back:

2h84xsx.jpg

...and on the disc:

122okds.jpg

Caption on the disc:

24bkozl.jpg

"S. Peterburg / Russkie Samotsvieti".

I've searched information about this company and I sent a mail. Unfortunately, Russkie Samotsvieti doesn't want to unveil business confidential information as the number of badges they issued or who ordered the manufacture of these badges...

Well, from other russian sources I just found out that 200 or 300 badges were issued.

The same badge also exists for surface ships, and both badge were issued both in silver or brass:

352ktqo.jpg

As you can see, the brass badges are a bit larger. For each of the two brass variants, 1.000 pieces were issued.

This is all I know about this very special submarine badge. Please post if you know more!

Thanks in advance! ;)

• 3 months later...

I asked around on a few Russian forums. What I got was that these were presented to the lower ranks, able seamen, leading seamen, petty officers etc because most of the medals went to officers... They were actually introduced by angry unit commanders seeing their men getting nothing to mark the event. This already being an award for merit, they were presented as such to the most deserving.

No explanation on why two variants (brass, silver) though...

Thank you very much for this information, TacHel !

This could explain the low number of badges! But on the other hand, this badge mainly is "For Long Range Campaign" because it's so similar to the offical one. So, maybe the recipients were people who were awarded with "For Long Range Campaign" in 1996 only?..

Did you find information about the origin of this commemorative badge? I mean, as it was issued by a manufacture in Saint Petersburg, and as the number of badges is small, could it be possible that unit commanders of this area were behind this specific award?..

Thank you very much for this information, TacHel !

This could explain the low number of badges! But on the other hand, this badge mainly is "For Long Range Campaign" because it's so similar to the offical one. So, maybe the recipients were people who were awarded with "For Long Range Campaign" in 1996 only?..

Did you find information about the origin of this commemorative badge? I mean, as it was issued by a manufacture in Saint Petersburg, and as the number of badges is small, could it be possible that unit commanders of this area were behind this specific award?..

It is extremely possible the fleet commander, or even individual captains had them made and bestowed them. Naval commemoratives established and bestowed by unit commanders are becoming incredibly abundant! I think the Pacific fleet commander alone has established more than a dozen different commemorative medals and badges in the past 3-4 years. And because that are commemoratives, they are allowed for wear on the uniform.

This is a link to a thread showing 2 such commemorative medals established and bestowed under the authority of the fleet commander. http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/55177-fleet-commanders-awarding-commemorative-medals/ Commemorative "badges" are not regulated by the Defence Ministry and are tolerated for wear on the uniform. Even if a commemorative "badge" is in the form of a medal and hangs from a ribbon like the two you'll see at the thread above, calling them "commemorative badges" removes any and all restrictions. Like I mentioned before, air force and navy commanders have been going nuts over this loophole and are issuing commemorative pieces like there's no tomorrow! Squadron, base, wing, division, brigade anniversaries... Name it.

As for using already existing awards like the "Long Cruise" badge, hey, its MUCH cheaper than having a firm design and produce a new award, especially when your own unit supply has boxes full of them. But I would guess the silver ones were made especially at the request of a pretty financially well off commander who really wanted his deserving personnel to have something special. That, or a Russian firm is selling them as souvenirs to tourists, that wouldn't surprise me either, commemoratives can be purchased with ease, they'll even sign and officially stamp the award document for you!!