News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U.S. WW2 Vet Grouping

Hi all. This is the U.S. part of a grouping that Nick's (Obergefreiter) brother in law got from a WW2 veteran who brought them all back. He sent the collection to Nick for ID, valuation and hopefully sale. It included German souvenirs which I've posted in the appropriate section.

Nick and I met over in Devils Lake at the coffee house again last week... I took my Epson and did scans of just about everything in the collection save a bit of documentation (not award docs) which he'll be getting scanned back at his library and I'm assuming will post here once he has them done.

In addition to what is seen here, I also have the original copies of orders for the Purple Heart & Oak Leaf, diplomas from an NCO Accademy and from an MOS school, a 100RM note with several signatures, dated "13 April 45, FUllendorf, Germany" part of a post-war 3rd. Division newsletter, a bring-back certificate for a pistol and a pair of binoculars, (no, unfortunatly, I don't have them) and a post-war letter from an army buddy. I will be scaning and downloading them in the next day or so.

Nick finished the scans today and popped them over to me so I could resize and post since I can put them in at a larger size. So here goes...

First off... a short snorter on an Imperial German 100 Mark note:

Well, Gents (and ladies), here is what I have for documentation on Mr. Maitland Lifsey, late of the US 3rd. Infantry Division. All in all I think that this is a very nice grouping for a vet. (A lot nicer than what I was able to bring back from Vietnam). Mr. Livsey also brought back a number of German awards that are posted in various places on the forum, including a 25 Panzer assault badge and an anti-partisan badge. Please take a look at all of it.

I recognized the distinctive unit insignia (sometimes called unit crest) of the 15th Infantry regiment, as well as the patch and HQ distinctive unit insignia of the 3rd Infantry Division. If I'm not mistaken, the soldier who earned the Combat Infantryman's Badge in WW2 should also have been awarded the Bronze Star medal: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/bronze_star.aspx. The "ruptured duck" lapel button is perhaps proof that the original recipient of these awards and insignia pieces was more interested in getting discharged on time instead of hunting down another ribbon for a uniform he never planned to wear again.

...The "ruptured duck" lapel button is perhaps proof that the original recipient of these awards and insignia pieces was more interested in getting discharged on time instead of hunting down another ribbon for a uniform he never planned to wear again.

I know the feeling! :lol: Thanks for the input. Nick.

I found the Panzer badge. You have one heck of a grouping!

Can you post an overview shot of all of his bringbacks here too, as they are a part of the grouping?

I can, but it'll be a day or two off. The older I get the less time I have to do anything.