News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shields on UK police uniform tunics

Thames Valley, Dorset, GMP and Kent have at one time or another had a shield as part of their uniform. Now I seem to recall that the Met' trialled a shield, can anyone confirm whether this is the case or if my memory is playing tricks.

Dorset and Bournemouth Police were the first to adopt the Hardy Amies designed uniform in the very late 1960s. One of its innovations was a cheaply-made shield to display the officer's collar number. I have this vague memory that the Met' trialled the Hardy Amies uniform along with their version of a shield.

I shall have to do some digging. It's bugging me.

Fife had 'name shields' after John Major's 1991 'Citizens Charter'. Forced to be worn by Inspectors and above, who had no 'shoulder numbers' to identify them.

I remember wearing one on a visit to New Scotland Yard back in 1995 ..................... drew some admiring glances in the lift (elevator) as it featured a knight on horseback.

The 'Thane of Fife'.

Nick - you are quite right - The Met., along with Dorset and the others you mention , did have a badge to wear

on the left side of the chest - above the pocket.

With the Met. only a few Divisions were issued with them as a trial. They were made of plastic and looked 'cheap'.

They didn't last long - however, they now command quite high prices from collectors. If I remember they had the new Met.

coat of arms above a space for the Force no. - which was stamped out on those plastic strips.

I think I still have one and will post if I can find-it. Mervyn

Mervyn - it sounds an awful bit of tat. But it would be nice to see one in all its penny-pinching glory.

Here in Nottingham the city's community protection officers have a plastic coat of arms cap badge that looks like a free gift from a box of breakfast cereal.

• 3 weeks later...

Ilford Division was one of the chosen divisions to trial the new uniform in the Met. It did have a badge on the left breast detachable as I recollect. Somewhat similar to the Franch national police badge The tunic did not have a belt. Standard issue tunics at that time did so. Women police were also trialling at this time a new style uniform.I had a female officer at Walthamstow who modelled the new uniform. The male version was not adopted by the Met but the style was the forerunner to the tunic now used today by the Met as No.1. dress uniform. Sadly, Robert Mark ( Commissioner) abolished the proper No.1 dress uniform worn by the Met at all State occasions. Having witnessed the State funeral of Commissioner Waldron who died in office and was buried with full honours - boots reversed in stirrups etc.Having coming from a county police he had no sense of tradition. He got rid of the lot. What a tragedy ! The substitute tunic No. 1 dress was on parade at the Queens Golden Jubilee celebrations in The Mall. I saw the present Commissioner was mounted in full dress regalia with cocked hat although he appears to have commissioned a new dress tunic.

bengullion

I think Robert Mark was very much a creature of the 1960s. After all he had been talent spotted by that doyen of the permissive society Roy Jenkins when he was recruited from the Chief's job at Leicester City Police to become a senior wallah at Scotland Yard. His background had been in big city forces and their chiefs were always regarded as a cut below, socially, the ex-army officers that the shire constabularies had always tended to appoint.

At least the Met retains some form of dress uniform. When the Queen visited my home city last week the appearnce of the officers on parade could best be described as slovenly.

Edited by NickLangley

"At least the Met retains some form of dress uniform. When the Queen visited my home city last week the appearnce of the officers on parade could best be described as slovenly."

I spent Saturday at the Waterfront Festival in Mississauga, the next city west of [and contiguous to] Toronto, where 'security' was provided by both police officers and students from the "Police Foundations' programme at one of the local trade colleges. The students had simple but fairly decent uniforms: black trousers with a grey seam stripe and black shirts stencilled 'POLICE' across the back. Some of the police looked as usual - peaked caps, dark blues frag vests over light blue shirts and blue pants with a red seam stripe, but I also spotted two who looked as if they'd been dragged backwards through a rag bag. T-shirts, worn outside the trousers, tactical holsters strapped down to the right thigh, equipment belt and boots, no head covers. Both looked as if they'd dresed in the dark and slouched rather than walking. What a disgrace! To anyone's uniform! I only hope the students didn't see them.

Im afraid the British Police now have everyone beaten into a cocked hat when it comes to routine scruffiness.

Here's a picture of Nottingham officers putting their best feet forward. Imagine what they look like when the camera isn't there!

The new snug-fit t shirts are very unforgiving if you aren't as lean as a jockey's whip. Sports bras all round.

Edited by NickLangley

Uuuuglyy! What a shame that the iconic bobby's uniform has given way to this. I understand that we can't expect them all to look like Peel's originals, but what was wrong with the crisp tunic with pockets, epaulettes and so on? Does anybody really believe this lot will appear 'more approachable' to the yobs and little lost kids or are the powers trying to make them invisible? If the latter, they've failed: there still there, they just look like ... [fill in rude term of choice here]! Sigh! :unsure: