News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Norwegians in the German Forces

I was interested to read Jan Arne's posting on the Norwegian Frontier Fighter badge, though, being a breast badge, it does not come within my collecting field. However, on the subject of cap badges, perhaps Jan Arne, or some other knowleable gentleman, can tell me something about the three badges shown below. All are cap badges, all Norwegian, I think.

The first, on the left. is a peaked cap badge worn by the Norwegian Statspolitiet, known as "Stapo", raised in 1942 and under the command of the German gestapo. This badge is in oxidised silver and has a wing-span of 90mm. A smaller version was worn on the winter fur cap.

The second badge belonged, I think to a German-raised organisation of Pioneers. Was it a military unit? From the similarity between this badge and those of the Norwegian Army of the time, it may have been.

The third badge is somewhat of a mystery. It looks to me like the cap badge of "Quislings' Guard", but confirmation of this would be nice. I was under the impression that the badge should have a red centre, but maybe there were variations. This badge is in brass.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Brian

[attachmentid=25765]

I was interested to read Jan Arne's posting on the Norwegian Frontier Fighter badge, though, being a breast badge, it does not come within my collecting field. However, on the subject of cap badges, perhaps Jan Arne, or some other knowleable gentleman, can tell me something about the three badges shown below. All are cap badges, all Norwegian, I think.

The first, on the left. is a peaked cap badge worn by the Norwegian Statspolitiet, known as "Stapo", raised in 1942 and under the command of the German gestapo. This badge is in oxidised silver and has a wing-span of 90mm. A smaller version was worn on the winter fur cap.

The second badge belonged, I think to a German-raised organisation of Pioneers. Was it a military unit? From the similarity between this badge and those of the Norwegian Army of the time, it may have been.

The third badge is somewhat of a mystery. It looks to me like the cap badge of "Quislings' Guard", but confirmation of this would be nice. I was under the impression that the badge should have a red centre, but maybe there were variations. This badge is in brass.

Brian

[attachmentid=25765]

The first was worn by the Police as you noticed. It was common to break off the wings among the nonmemebers of the Norwegian NS. The second one are from the "ArbeidsTjenesten" (AT), wich is similar to the German RAD. It came orders to enroll all male "youth" between a certain age. One of our most known(Gunnar S?nsteby, aka. "Kjakan", "nr 24.) member of the resistense (milorg) blew up the offices that contained all the adresses to those who was to be ordered out to duty for AT. That`s why they couldn`t get this plan in to action. The last one is from the "Hird". This is the members of the uniformed Norwegian NS Party.

Hi Brian !

Here is one of the Police caps in use .

Police Constable that not was members of NS ( Norwegian Nazi Party ) use to break of one or both wings of the eagle on the cap to show that they not was members of NS .

Jan Arne

Edited by Jan Arne S

• 17 years later...

I have seen a lot of Politi badges missing a wing but assumed it was due to a manufacturing flaw. I find it hard to believe that departments would allow such a noticeable flaw in uniform to be worn.

I know this is an ancient post, but as far as the far right emblem goes, it appears to be an old British fake. My guess is that it has flat broad prongs on the rear rather than the narrow wires of originals

On 03/02/2006 at 07:51, shako_uk said:

Brian

[attachmentid=25765]

post-624-1138913342.jpg

post-624-1138913342.jpg

Interesting