News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scottish guard tunic- help I.d. the rank

Hi,

I do not collect British Uniforms, however recently I bought this nice Scottish Guard Tunic.

Can you identify the rank, please.

Can you tell me where i can find good informatin regarding the ranks of the Guards -not only Scottish,

Regards

Graf

Hi Odulf,

Thank you for the mail.

I know it is modern. Inside thre is a lebel with the Model -1959.

I need internet site where I can get information about the Ranks identification of the Guardsman

Graf

Graf - I have just had a quick look on Google for you. Type-in - Identification of British Guards uniforms and ranks.

At the bottom of page 1 is an article titled - Buckingham Palace Guards. This has some useful information and

illustrations. It doesn't cover ranks - however, you can make your own google post for them. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

Thank you

I found another link

LINKIN MALL DOT NET > MILITARY MERCHANDISE > British Armed Forces > British Army > Scots Guards Regiment

The tunic is for a Guardsman of Scots Guards Regiment

Graf

Edited by Graf

Hi Marvyn,

Thank you

LINKIN MALL DOT NET > MILITARY MERCHANDISE > British Armed Forces > British Army > Scots Guards Regiment

I found another link

Th tunic is for a private

Graf

Don't let our Guards members see you describe them as 'private's'. As Odulf said it's a 'guardsmans' uniform, as the term 'private' was last used by the Guards during the Great War. So no matter which Foot Guards unit you serve in you're a 'guardsman' not a private.

Hi Graham,

Thank you for the comment I edited my reply with the correct Rank

I said I am not very familiar with the British uniforms and Ranks

Yes I should have been more careful using the teminology.

If any Gaurd members read this, please accept mu sincere APOLOGY

Kind Regards

Graf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you for all help

I found a lot of information regarding Royal Guards

This is my new Tunic of LANCE SERGEANT with a belt

Next will be COLOUR SERGEANT or/and OFFICER Tunic

• 5 years later...
    On 6/30/2012 at 08:45, Graf said:

Hi,

Thank you for all help

I found a lot of information regarding Royal Guards

This is my new Tunic of LANCE SERGEANT with a belt

Next will be COLOUR SERGEANT or/and OFFICER Tunic

Picture 653.jpg

Guardsman, Lance Corporal, Lance Sergeant, Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, Company Sergeant Major, Regimental Sergeant Major.

Andy

A bit of background for you. As you know, a Guardsman has no insignia on his tunic.

A Lance Corporal in the Guards has 2 white stripes on his sleeve. Everywhere else in the British Army, a Lance Corporal has a single stripe. It's said that Queen Victoria declared that no man with a single stripe on his tunic would guard her, so the Guards Lance Corporals got an extra stripe.

Of course, this posed a bit of a problem, because 2 stripes normally means a Corporal. Three stripes mean a Sergeant. So the Guards instituted the rank of Lance Sergeant and gave him 3 white stripes, like the one Graf has.

A Guards Sergeant has 3 GOLD stripes on his sleeve. Colour Sergeants have an actual picture of a standard (colour)... and the Regimental Sergeant Major has a huge Royal coat-of-arms on his sleeve!