News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm no expert but it looks to me like a policeman's uniform. I'm sure others will do better but I mostly had to have a bash at this because I too am in Oakville, as at least one other member on board here. Good luck getting better info and welcome to the site.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

There are two clues in this photo.

First the collar serial "459" which would suggest that he is an officer in a larger force.

Then there is the first aid badge on the tunic sleeve. It would seem that the cross is a saltire (the symbol of the St Andrew's Ambulance Brigade) rather than the Maltese Cross (the symbol of the St John's Ambulance Brigade) which suggests a Scotch force.

The puzzle keeps growing. I found this in old family photos with "my dear Dad": written on the back. I thought I knew who it was but the family is German and Irish. I need to keep digging. Anyone have any idea of dates for the uniform. I thought the belt might be a clue.

MJ

Looks 1920's to me from cut and hair style. He coud be an Irish flatfoot I suppose. Suggest you re-post him in the police section where the experts can weigh in. See first topic under special interests on main page.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

"The puzzle keeps growing. I found this in old family photos with "my dear Dad": written on the back. I thought I knew who it was but the family is German and Irish. I need to keep digging. Anyone have any idea of dates for the uniform. I thought the belt might be a clue.

MJ"

Just as up to 30% of the British Army in the 19th century was Irish, British [and, I suppose, Scottish] police forces were full of Paddies. There is a particularly offensive Irish folk song called "The Mountains of Mourne" in which the bumbkin Irishman arrives in London and writes home to his girl about the great goings on:

Oh Mary this London's a wonderful sight

With people here workin' by day and by night

They don't sow potatoes, nor barley, nor wheat

But there's gangs of them diggin' for gold in the street

At least when I asked them that's what I was told

So I just took a hand at this diggin' for gold ...

You remember young Davey Mc Clarin of course

Well he's over here on what they call 'the Force'

I saw him one day as I was crossin’ the Strand

And he stopped all the traffic with a wave of his hand

And as we stood talkin’ of days that are gone

The whole town of London stood there to look on

But for all his great powers he's wishful like me

To be back where the dark Mourne sweep down to the sea"

"Paddy" humour was the British equivalent of 'darky' songs in the old vaudeville days, but it doesn't obscure the fact that for many impoverished Irish men, Great Britain was a land of oppurtunity.

So, its quite conceivable that your 'Irish' side contains at least one ancestor who tried the UK before he came across the Atlantic! I hope some of the other experts in this group can narrow down the ID of the picture.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

This photo is earlier than 1920s, the style of the uniform, the type of photo and his medals are for Egypt so I would guess it is late Victorian era. As for the force others may be able to help as it is a County Constabulary Police Uniform.

I don't think there is too much that can be said about this tunic. The style of the tunic + his haircut would indicate late

Victorian or, eary 20th C... Sergeants usually were given the lower numbers - however this number seems to indicate a

smaller Rural Force.

The link "S" belt shows a smaller Force - although the Metropolitan wore this pattern. Chief Constable's could pay an

extra 1/6d and have the coat of arms for their Force - smaller ones couldn't afford to.