News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1/72 scale German light cruiser Munich. 1940

Haratio Fales

• Replies 152
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the intrest of time and catching up I have skiped about 60 pictures but allot of that are just pictures of the same process. from start to end I have about 2 months time involved here with about 40 man hours or so. In this pic I cut off the center screw shaft skeg as I think I can make it easier with the shaping away from the ship and shape the stern easier with out it in the way.

This should be the last major body filler sesion. the hull weighs about 110 lbs which would make it hard to steal, LOL. anyway I plan on useing it to make a set of molds for the RC hull, and I can use this one for the static version.

after about 3 more shaping sesions, I tapered down the bottom of the hull to a more streamlined shape, that the Germans were known for. and shouldnt have to much more to do as far as smooth sanding now. Then I need to dig out the deck plans again and logic where the portholes will be placed, and the engine cooling vents in the Hull as they didn't get that far into the plans.

Here is a sneak peak at my next project that I am going to start shortley, in paralelle with the Munich. IJN Yahagi. She is a light cruiser that was the only other Capitol ship at Operation Tenichi Go besides Yamato. She was in charge of the destroyer group there, and was sunk along with Yamato by Navy aircraft. Pilots claimed that she was as hard to hit and sink as the Battleship. She was from a class of 4 ships of which 1 survived the war. She carried 6-6.1 inch guns in 3 turrets and 24 inch-long lance torpedoes in 2x4 tubelaunchers with refills. She was most likley at a disatvantage in a gun dual with light cruisers of other nations that carried 8 to 15-6 inch guns, however would have been a bad dream in a night fight at close range with her torpedo's.

Edited by Haratio Fales

Hello Haratio;

I am really enjoying watching this process. Amazing, and in 1/72! I used that scale for my models when I was a kid.

You know what other hobbyist would love a weekend with your completed piece. Model railroad diorama enthusiasts! I would imagine that they would love to put together some kind of ship-at-dock motif with the Munich harbored and their trains whizzing around on tracks nearby.

Great work.

TY, for the kind comments, I don't know if they have trains in 1/72 scale but that would be cool. I have a freind in Italy that is buildint teh Sharnhorst in this scale. and a man in North Carolina building a Japanese float plane carrier. I have a friiend here that builds ships for Rc from sheet metal in 1/87 which is HO train scale and he has about 20 or so, but he's computer illiterate and I dont think he would care to much for the blog things. I wish I had ome pics of his work though. the are a bit rough as he is not tring to make them for static display. Anyway I plan to make molds so I can copy the hull in fiberglass for an RC version, but this one will be a Mantle Queen for me. Keep waching and check out (The Joly Roger Shipyard) under scratch built. The Model Ship Forum, under scratch built, and IPMS Malta MMS under Marine. These are all the sights that Im posting on and that I have seen all the other ships in 72/96/100/200/ and 350 scale that are fenomenal projects. This is the one from Italy that is on the malta site.

Edited by Haratio Fales

this is one of Bismark from (The Ship Model Forum). He has been building this one for over 2 years now and plans to have the main guns fire flash bang ammo, and RC traverse and elevate. there is a picture of the Mold for the hull that was in England and its about 13 foot long. as far as I know You can still buy one of these hulls. If not I'd like to purchase the mold and sell them. If i sold 3 a month I could pay my rent LOL.

Edited by Haratio Fales

The more I add, the better its starting to look. We'll see after I work the foil over. I still need to look at teh second and third deck compartment plans to draw the vertical bulkheads onto the upper hull so I can logic out a port hole plan for her. The line drawings didnt show these as they didnt get that fo into the planing or construction application.

Edited by Haratio Fales