News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1/72 scale German light cruiser Munich. 1940

Haratio Fales

• Replies 152
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL I think I actully have plans for Titanic in 1:200 somewhere, I have seen her in 1/2500 up to 1/12th scale online. Type in Titanic Model on the search engine. I have allot of 1/350 stuff but it always seemed to small to me. I considered the 1/144 scale, which would be good for models but The Rc comunity is slowly gravitting towards 72 scale. I think because it is more impresive on the pond and You can see it further away.Plus there are model aircraft in that scale of almost every airplane ever built. so its easy to get Arado's or Jake and Pete float planes for the ships that carried them.

This is a set of 2 New jersey Hulls that I split with a razor saw some years ago to test an idea about making a Montona class Battleship in 1/350. I figured out the length and width from a book that I purchased called (U.S. Battleships An Illustrated Design History) and cut one hull lon from the front and the other long from aft to come up with one.

I took the super structure of one kit and cut the fore barbette and deck area to fit it from th second kit. Thin I played with the idea and added a small barbette so I could have 6-5 inch gun houses per side instead of 5. I lengthend the 40 mm tubs between the stacks to have 8 instead of 6. I doubled the bridge to ad a full size flag bridge. and added 2 40 mm tubs right behigned the upper bridge. Looking at it now I would revise it slightly as I dont think they would have built it that way but I wanted mine to be different then the Montana, that other people already scratch built, so I was going to put 69 on her hull wich was designated to be named Maine.

I like to build and or look at things that were concepts but not built. I have several line drawings of Z plan cruisers that were concepts and were planed and even ordered but never realized because of the war starting when it did. I have thought about later attempting to Garage kit some of these in 1/350 resin, as no model companies as of yet has taken any intrest in them at all, I would have an open market. I do plan to finish this cruiser and mold her so I can do fiberglass and or Sheet steel hulls and parts to sell for RC purposes,so If any of You would be inerested in that, just keep following this tread and when I get to that point Ill be showing that also.

Here is a close up of the bridge area. This is a model I spent allot of time playing with he demensions and it just seemed to small for so much time and effort. I saw a model of the Bismark in 1/144 scale from soar arts that is in Germany. She sells for about 1200 dollars. The size was Impresive but the detail was sorely lacking and allot of the parts were very bland for a model of that size. I am acctually some what Lazy in nature, so I try to do stuff one time if I can get away with it. So I aim to build a ship once and then make it so it can be a museum peice, or a RC ready to play with.

These Forums have been keeping Me motivated to keep Driving on the project and the more I do to the ship has been driving Me also as she looks better every day. I really enjoy the interest and comments, and I have learned allot from other peoples projects also, It is kind of like getting a Scooby Snack for my efforts, LOL so TY all and Ill post more as soon as I can.

Amazing work Haratio! :speechless1:

You're not building a model...it is too good to call it that. It's a scale miniature.

I realize you said that you excel at patience, but patience alone can't make quality work. This is a testament to your patience AND skill.

Edited by Claudius

I got a little work done today, starting on the port side and bottom pattern. Some of the plates are gaped a bit large, I might redo this area or prime and paint it and see how it looks.

Edited by Haratio Fales

they will remain but I had to fill in some pits that I should have filled before I started taping. I still have to sand teh putty and scuff sand the metal tape with 400 grig sand paper, l like you would do on a car body, and I'm going to prime it/ but the lines will remain. if the putty fills in a line, I will rescribe it.

I have to work on the center scew skeg on the stern and foil tape the upper hull. Figure out the raised armor raft design, and so on, so I can get ready to make the first mold of her. The hull is the longest part of this project, however I have been learning what is working and what is not. This is the first scratch build project that I have done in this size. I think on the next one I am going to take more time up front and use a closer rib design, and use foam thin body fill it as it should be quicker, and smoother. I do like how the foil tape is working and I think it would work well on a fiberglass, or wood hull, for an actual model. This is a plug for a mold so I can reproduce the hull in fiberglass, Resin, styrafoam, and I intend to cast a special mold to use as a form to weld sheet metal in for RC hulls.

I had thought about making a mold then doing the detail work to the mold, of casting another plug and then working it over, but I think if I just take my time now and get this one detailed it will come out right and save me allot of work. Then I will put up the master plug, and start working on the superstructure, guns, stacks, catapults, ext ext.