News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I am looking for additional information and hopefully a picture of LtCol Kurt v. Beerfelde. Thanks to Daniel and Stephen, I have the following:

Kurt von Beerfelde (1869-1931)

In 1914 Major and Adjutant of the 1st Guards Division, in WW1 Cdr of Guards Grenadier Regiment 5 retired as half Colonel. PLM 1918

Awarded PLM as Major, former commanding Officer 5th Garde Grenadier Regiment. Awarded PLM for outstanding leadership and distinguished military planning and successful operations on the western front during the Spring Offensive of 1918. The award was also given in recognition of distinction during the breakthrough of the enemy lines between Gouzeaucourt and Vermand on March 21, 1918. Also Major von Beerfelde displayed distinction in action during the battles of Mericourt and Morcourt March 27-28, 1918, which broke through the British lines as far as Hamel, east of Amiens. On the following day, while leading his troops southeast of Hamel, Major von Beerfelde was severely wounded in the right arm which necessitated his return to Germany to recover.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Edited by MJC

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I can add:  his full name is Curt Gustav Emil v. Beerfelde, born 13 October 1869 in Schwedt an der Oder, died  10 May 1931 in Berlin.  

By the way, "Curt" is how it was recorded in the Gothaisches Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels (and probably on his birth certificate, since Gotha used family records), but he probably Germanicized it to "Kurt" at some point, as was typical in the late 1800s and early 1900s (see, for example, Cöln to Köln and Coblenz to Koblenz).