News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for Unselfishness

Ed_Haynes

If we could ever crack the stories behind these medals, I think we'd get some interesting tales.

Established 24 February 1959 to (quoting Dr. B, p. 65) ". . . award persons who rescue human lives from fire, flood, and other natural disasters, protect human lives, state and public property, and fight against crimes and vandalism, regardless of the risks posed to their own lives."

Until 1967, the design had an unfortunate cross-like design on the obverse. The Soviets kindly suggested a change, evidence suggests.

Types:

-- Type 1.1 (?Cross? obverse, silver painted, 1959-??), Low = 10, High = 21

-- Type 1.2 (?Cross? obverse, silver enameled, 19??-67), Low = 280, High = 381

-- Type 2.1 (red obverse, silver numbered, 1967-??), Low = 1027, High = 1232

-- Type 2.2 (red obverse, silver unnumbered, 19??--)

Can someone show the first two? Types 2.1 and 2.2 follow.

• Replies 88
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I am not assured about Variant 1.1 and Variant 1.3.The picture of Variant 1.3 is from Yuri Yashnev site http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Asia/Mongoli...selfishness.htm and his medal has a number № 4 .I have same medal with number 8. I have painted variant of medal as well and it has a number 130, but I think now is this variant real old ? May be it's just a modern fake or may be another maker?

fakes of this medal are existing!

the one i've seen was a cast medal and painted (the casting was not too bad - but was vissible because of the "casting-bubbles" and the tipical rim of casted medals)

sadly i don't have a picture - but as the price of this medal is not so low, you'll notice it while you have a closer look at the medal before buying.

christian

• 1 month later...

back

Thanks. What's the number on your "cross" variety? Sorry, aging eyes want to know and cannot decipher it from the scan.

In fact, a close-up please. What is that "blob" in the centre??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Thanks. What's the number on your "cross" variety? Sorry, aging eyes want to know and cannot decipher it from the scan.

In fact, a close-up please. What is that "blob" in the centre??

188 for the one with the blob

the other doesn't have a number

also interesting to start looking at... the blob one (A40.2) has a U-ring as part of the medal whereas the other one (A40.4) has an O-ring also as part of the medal

I have no clue what the blob is!

• 2 months later...

fakes of this medal are existing!

the one i've seen was a cast medal and painted (the casting was not too bad - but was vissible because of the "casting-bubbles" and the tipical rim of casted medals)

sadly i don't have a picture - but as the price of this medal is not so low, you'll notice it while you have a closer look at the medal before buying.

christian

Yes this one is being faked, 100% for sure. Beware. Working to get some good comparative closeups. (Which means, I guess, that I'm working to find a fake to buy?)

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

And one more update:

A 40.1/M 23.1 -- Type 1.1 (?Cross? obverse, silver painted) -- Low = 10/High = 76

Type 1.2 (?Cross? obverse, silver enameled, green leaves) -- Low = 13/High = ??

A 40.2/M 23.1 -- Type 1.3 (?Cross? obverse, silver enameled) -- Low = 249/High = 381

A 40.3/M 23.1 -- Type 2.1 (red obverse, silver numbered) -- Low = 1027/High = 1232

A 40.4/M 23.1 -- Type 2.2 (red obverse, silver unnumbered, escapee?)

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...