News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kriegsmarine Photo , language help

I just got this nice photo dated July 11th 1944 of a ship crew ?

At first I thougt about a Uboat crew but thay are to few and no higher ranks , and when I looked at the backside , there was some writing , but I´m not sure if I translate it right ?

The Ha S Flo could that mean hafen Schutz Flottilie ?? and sine the landing in Normandie in June 1944 what places could they come from ??

Could anyone help me translate the writing so maybe I can get some more clues ;)

Happy weekend all

Christer

Edited by christerd

Ha.S.Flo could well mean Hafenschutz Flotille which were harbour defence units of which there were very many...

I do see a couple of Minesweeper awards in wear in this photo,so it possible that these men were members of harbour defense units,as you suggest Kevin.

Regards,Martin.

Thanks Hucks and Martin :cheers:

I see that many of the Hafe schuts Flöttillen was abonded in 1944 so I can possible narrow down the suspects quite a lot

See if I can find anything more about these units

Christer

• 5 years later...

I tried to read and translate the text for you. The posting is old, so I don't know if you found out more since now.

I read:

O.U.(short for "ohne Ortsunterkunft"), den 11.7.1944

Zur Erinnerung an meine schöne Zeit bei der "Ha.S.Flo." vom 01-12-42 bis Pfingsten 44. Herzliche Grüße dein Sohn Erich

On the left corner:

Erhalten am 23. Juli 44. A.?.

Translation:

Without place (it was forbidden to tell the place of the location in letters home), the 11-07-1944

In rememberence of my nice time at the "Ha.S.Flo." from 01-12-1942 to pentecost 44. Best greetings, your son Erich.

Left corner:

Received on 23. July 44. A.?.