News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hampshire regt sun helmet help?

Hello all

I was wondering if somebody may be able to help identify what BN of the Hampshire Regt my Great Uncle was with. The only Info I have on him was that 281090 PTE Lloyd B King was in the Hampshire Regt?, that he was in the Middle East during WW1, his medal roll only has him for the war and victroy medals!. He was killed by an American Jeep during WW2, (knocked off his bike).

I think the key is the insignia on the helmet, If someone could assist with the ID, I may be able to put him in a BN and figure out where he served exactly.

Cheers Boots

Hi, Boots. Welcome to GMIC. Bad luck for him to survive WW1 and then get killed in a motor accident.

I hope one of our members will be able to help with your enquiry - meanwhile tell us a little about yourself -

where do you live ? We have had a lot of Australians joining in recent months. Mervyn

G,Day Mervyn

Im living in Victoria, still serving in the Army, came down here on my last posting to Puckapunyal, and bought a house nearby, family have sort of settled on me (older teenage kids) so have stayed put. Will most likley throw smoke from the forces in the next year or so as being a 41 yr old Infantryman has taken its toll an knees and back. Served prodominatley in the 3rd, 2nd & 6th Battalions of the Royal Australian Regiment (in that order). Have always had a keen interest in military history since being a small boy, I would probably call it a cross between a hobby and bad habit!!. Collected a bit of militaria a few years back, but have slackend off in recent years with militaria dealers scooping everything up in this country and whacking %800 on it!!

I was wrapped when I stumbled on this website last week, as I,m sure I,ll enjoy jumping on regularly with blokes who share the same interests?

Cheers Erik (boots)

Erik,

Your Great Uncle looks to have been a Territorial Force Soldier and has one of the numbers assigned to the 6th Bn Hampshire Reg't in 1917 when the TF was renumbered.

http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

The 1/6 went to India (became part of the Indian Army Establishment and then to Mespot as part of the 17th Indian Division and the photo lines up well with that. There was a 2/6 buit doubt he was in that.

http://www.1914-1918.net/hants.htm

Joe Sweeney

G,Day Mervyn

Im living in Victoria, still serving in the Army, came down here on my last posting to Puckapunyal, and bought a house nearby, family have sort of settled on me (older teenage kids) so have stayed put. Will most likley throw smoke from the forces in the next year or so as being a 41 yr old Infantryman has taken its toll an knees and back. Served prodominatley in the 3rd, 2nd & 6th Battalions of the Royal Australian Regiment (in that order). Have always had a keen interest in military history since being a small boy, I would probably call it a cross between a hobby and bad habit!!. Collected a bit of militaria a few years back, but have slackend off in recent years with militaria dealers scooping everything up in this country and whacking %800 on it!!

I was wrapped when I stumbled on this website last week, as I,m sure I,ll enjoy jumping on regularly with blokes who share the same interests?

Cheers Erik (boots)

Welcome,

Spent a hot, dusty time in Pucka a few years trialling a new navigation / pointing equipment for the Artillery. Our reward was spending time on the Majura range chasing kangaroos and the occasional blue-tongued lizard in a Land Rover with the same kit. Lots of fun.

Best,

Hugh

• 4 weeks later...

G,day Joe

Mate, thanks very much for the information you provided and the link to the numbering website, I have used it to confirm a few other past family members units. it also explained to me why my GGrandad had two reggie numbers for WW1.

Cheers Erik

G,Day Hugh

Glad you liked Pucka when you did some time here!!! though its not hot and dusty at the moment, its cold and wet, even the resident kangaroos look miserable!!