News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Victory Medals

Since I have a number of South African Victory Medals in my collection, can anyone tell me the difference between the Official Type 1 and Type 2. Any information on the 2 Repro Types would also be appreciated. Pictures/images also welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Jean-Paul

Edited by IrishGunner

• Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In answer to Jean Paul's inquiry here are the South African Official type 1 and type 2 from my collection.

Official type 1 on the left with type 2 on the right. Both are unnamed as issued.

The differences are:

General; the official type 1 has a much more pronounced and noticeable plinth on which the barrel suspender is attached. This is much less noticeable or prominent on the type 2. While I haven't been able to confirm it, it does appear that they are made from different base metals. It looks like the type 2 was a slightly heavier strike resulting in more pronounced detail.

Obverse; minor variations in victory herself showing in the detail of the face, the top garment, the internal wing leaf detail, the flowing robes, and where the robes finish at the base of the medal, with minor differences in the base platform. The major difference is the lack of the designers initials 'W.McM' on the obverse.

Reverses to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Reverses as indicated.

Reverse; minor variations in the positioning of the circular wreath in relation to the rim edge of the medal, minor differences in the position, spread and spacing of the bilingual inscriptions, this being noticeable where it abuts the internal circular wreath, and a smaller gap where the delineating dots separate the two languages.

Overall the differences are of a minor nature. Blink and you'll miss them but they are there nonetheless.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hi RobW,

Thank you for the information and the excellent images. I was not aware that there were 2 types. I've had a look at the 7 South African Victory medals that I have in my collection and all of them are Type 1. So, is it safe to assume that the Type 2 medals are not as plentiful as the Type 1 medals?

I noticed that you state that "both are unnamed as issued". All of my medals are named.

Jean-Paul

Edited by IrishGunner

Hello Jean Paul,

I obtained both specimens via the Royal Mint at Pretoria, South Africa. As far as I can recall they were minted at the Woolwich Arsenal in England and then shipped to the Mint at Pretoria, for subsequent naming in location, and distribution to the recipients. I obtained the pieces from stock that were left over and hadn't been issued; hence they are unnamed. In recent times there has also been a number of unnamed 1914-15 Stars and British War medals floating around the market that are left of these unissued, unnamed stocks.

You are indeed correct that the type 2 are less plentiful than the type 1. While I don't have an accurate figure on type differences I have seen less than 5 type 2's South Africans amongst a sea of type 1's.

Glad the pictures were of use.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone

Just arrived this morning - South African Victory Type 1 to Cpl A.C. Turton 4th South African Horse

1st of many

Hello Rayjin,

Welcome to the thread. It is a good spot to share and enjoy the spread of information.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Hello,

I need your help,

I have bought this medal on a market,

I believe it is the south africa typ of the horse transport corps?, but I can´t identify the rank of this men.

regars daniel

Hello,

I need your help,

I have bought this medal on a market,

I believe it is the south africa typ of the horse transport corps?, but I can´t identify the rank of this men.

regars daniel

Driver E Groep Cape Auxilliary Horse Transport Corp

The Cape Auxiliary Horse Transport Corps was formed in 1916 and consisted of eight companies numbering 6,214 ‘Coloured’ (mixed race) men who served as drivers with the Army Service Corps in Northern France.

Hope this helps

Rogan

Edited by Rayjin

• 3 months later...
    • 8 months later...

Hello Pagan,

Yes; I would agree. The revese lettering of the South African vic is such an eye catching design. The campaigns in Africa during the Great War are often under-reported and under-appreciated due to the focus being given to actions that occurred in the France theatre.

A nice example.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 months later...

Hi Gents,

Another find from fossicking amongst the web - on a South African auction site:-

oddsouthafricanvic-crop.jpg

A rather odd-looking suspension, and the ring looks thicker and smaller than usual. I don't think it's a miniature, judging by the ribbon, and it's not called such on the site. Is it a recent issue by the SA authorities, or possibly someone has replaced the original suspension?

Bill

Given the wear to the medal almost certainly a replacement suspension. As a collector of medals to Indians I surprisingly own a WWI pair with bilingual victory to a bearer Pappa of the Indian Bearer Corps (poor devil spent most of his time in the sick bay).

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Peron

Great!! To whom she is named?

Parabéns! ótimo exemplar, para quem esta nomeada ?

Lambert

Sorry...Desculpem!!!!Forgot to put that information...

awarded to Kondr dr. J.L. Pretorious, Z.A.D.K. (Zuid Afrikaansche Dieu Korps)...

Edited by peron

Hi Peron

I possibly know anything about this soldier, just search records in South Africa.

I'll try to find something ..

Lambert

Great...thanks!!!!Obrigado pela sua ajuda...gostaria de saber efectivamente quem seria este soldado...

Um abraço

P.

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Just a small correction to the above - from my "Dictionary of Military Terms, Definitions and Abbreviations"

Z.A.D.K. (Zuid Afrikaansche Dieu Korps)... this is INCORRECT............

the CORRECT abbreviation is:

ZADK = Zuid Afrikaanse Diens Korps (S.A. Service Corps) 1914 – 1918, on a bilingual Victory Medal.

All the best

• 1 year later...