News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Japanese group of 11

RobW

To all,

While this group is not mine I have been allowed to post a picture of this item for discussion. I don't have any other pics.

A nicer large group comprising:

* Order of the Sacred Treasure 8th class

* Order of the Rising Sun 8th class

* 1914-20 War Medal

* Taisho Enthronement Medal 1915

* 1st National Cencus Medal 1921

* Showa Enthronement Medal 1928

* Manchurian 'Incident' Medal 1931-34

* China 'Incident' Medal 1937

* 2600th National Anniversary Commemorative Medal 1940

* Manchukuo National Foundation Merit Medal 1933

* Red Cross Membership Medal

This large group was contained in a unique velvet lined leather wallet that can be seen in the background. It had black leather on the outside and a much darker blue velvet on the inside lining.

It is the largest Japanese longer service group that I have seen.

Any comments on this group would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

• Replies 129
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It had black leather on the outside and a much darker blue velvet on the inside lining.

Hi Rob,

yep, this is typical japanese leather case that cavalier could bought for more easier and safer transportation/storage of his awards.

Sometimes they called it "field case".

It is the largest Japanese longer service group that I have seen.

No wonder!

Most likely it is fake ;)

Because

1) ribbons have different wear

(simply look at 8th class sun and national foundation medal or (even better test!) two incident medals ;))

2) highly unrealistic set of medals for one man (in case of private - I think simply impossible)

I wonder what legend was sold with this one :whistle:

Cheers,

Nick

Hello Nick,

I can't vouch for the veracity of the group other than I have actually handled it. I agree that the ribbon wear on different pieces is inconsistent and noted the extra wear on the Taisho Enthronement medal compared with those on either side.

I am not sure what extra detail was indicated but it was sold by a Sydney based dealer at auction in October last year. I noted it at the time but not having a victory medal it was outside of my collecting area.

Regards,

Rob

I saw a large number of original Japanese mounting bars for anywhere up to 10 or so medals at a show in Kentucky in the mid-1990s. Given how easy it is to mount Japanese medals with their standard hook-and-eye closure, I'm not sure I would trust any mounted group or place a value any higher than that of the individual medals.

I saw a large number of original Japanese mounting bars for anywhere up to 10 or so medals at a show in Kentucky in the mid-1990s.

Hi Dave,

it's not the number of awards, it's the classes of orders and war/commemorative medals that make this or that bar realistic or unrealistic ;)

Given how easy it is to mount Japanese medals with their standard hook-and-eye closure, I'm not sure I would trust any mounted group or place a value any higher than that of the individual medals.

Usually fake bars could be easily detected, but the man (or women ;)) who know what he (or she) is doing could create quite nice and very realistically looking bar :whistle:

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Nick is right. Only an 8th Class RS & ST for service from about 1920 to 1939? Not only that, but the census medal is out of order. And the GK medal, which is missing, should be a 7th (I guess) which would mean it would be placed before the ST & RS, which are 8th classes.

This grouping is no doubt a put-together. Not original at all.

Hey Rob,

here comes another japanese group (with victory medal so it is inside your collecting area ;)).

It was sold recently with this classy legend

"Due to the information of the consignor from the estade of a General-Major which is possible due to the absence of any order on the medalbar as they would have been won on the neck-ribbon or sash."

Anyway, this one looks more promising ... :)

Obverse

Hey Rob,

here comes another japanese group (with victory medal so it is inside your collecting area ;)).

Anyway, this one looks more promising ... :)

Obverse

A nice group.

Is it common to have the thread attached to stop the medals from swinging around too much?

Regards,

Rob

Is it common to have the thread attached to stop the medals from swinging around too much?

Let me put it this way - sometimes it happens ;)

Give me some time and I'll post different bar with attached medals.

It will be inside your collecting area too :)

Regards,

Nick

Attaching of medals for better fastening is quite usual practise for Germany and Britain, but less common practise for Japan.

Obviously japanese war medals (and the very first 1874 war medal) was designed after british medals ...

Attaching of medals is unusual, but easily explained practise.

For really stravagante practise go to http://gmic.co.uk/in...d-german-style/

Edited by JapanX

Another quite interesting bar (currently on sale at Yahoo Japan)

So, are the bars you are showing; 1) period assemblies, 2) outright fake/modern assemblies or 3) maybe period or maybe modern assemblies, hard to tell?

This last medal bar seems too good to be true. The three major merit awards, a 1914 (or 1914-20) War Medal, a lot of pre-ww1 medals and finally a Victory as well. Quite a tight group! :whistle: