News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Charles,

that is an M15 Bluse. The field grey Waffenrock for Flügeladjutanten did not necessarily have breast pockets; in fact as per regulations did not have them. 

Regards

Glenn

1 hour ago, Glenn J said:

Hi Charles,

that is an M15 Bluse. The field grey Waffenrock for Flügeladjutanten did not necessarily have breast pockets; in fact as per regulations did not have them. 

Regards

Glenn

Sorry if I was unclear. Yes, the m16 tunic is correct. I was wondering about the 1910 tunic. Castell has no breast pockets but Leonrod doesE177A69E-80D2-4FB7-B37D-3FCE6230988D.thumb.jpeg.6c56f5123bb1e6f9135b166dc2c01d88.jpeg29C05F9B-9231-42AB-9CAC-D02E01172197.thumb.jpeg.1a2b21207cda33eb85351345cd1d7c09.jpeg29C05F9B-9231-42AB-9CAC-D02E01172197.thumb.jpeg.1a2b21207cda33eb85351345cd1d7c09.jpeg

Charles,

maybe I was unclear; per regulations the 1910 tunic for Flügeladjutants should NOT have breast pockets. However, I should not imagine anyone lost any sleep about such a transgression!

Regards

Glenn

Charles,

In response to your various e-mails and posts, as Glenn pointed out, the M 1910 for Flügeladjutanten did not have breast pockets - see enclosed scans, particularly plate 9, and the further pic from the tunic showing a detail not evident from the ones on Helmut's site.

Castell-Castell probably (and correctly) continued wearing this tunic also after his 1918 promotion to general rank. which as Glenn notes, did not come with a promotion to Generaladjutant. 

I once owned this piece and never felt uncomfortable with it.

Sandro

19.JPG

46.jpeg

47.jpeg

Hi Sandro,

that’s excellent literature for the adjutant tunic. I have no doubt about the tunic, I’m just asking about the differences between it and the Leonrod. Are the tabs on Castell of the 1915 pattern?

I never realized those Saxon tabs were exclusively for Saxon Generaladjutant 

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

So, if that’s Graf Castell then he was awarded the EKI

On 10/07/2012 at 03:07, GdC26 said:

Thanks Dave, I stand corrected on the first, and must have missed the second.

Any sign von Castell-Castell was awarded an EK 1, as Charles has suggested?

DEFFE8EB-BAC8-4DCB-BD64-6DF868A586F7.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
    On 08/07/2012 at 04:22, arb said:

Sandro,

He was born 12.05.1868 in Castell (Unterfranken) and died 08.07.1939 in Hochburg-Ach. He was married to Amalie Prinzessin zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg. After attending Gymnasium, he voluntarily joined the 1. Ulan. R. as a Fähnrich on 19.08.1886. He became Adjutant of the IV. Armee Insp. on 19.09.1900. He was promoted Oberst on 11.10.1914 and Gen. Maj. in 1918 (sorry, no exact date).

Andy

1918.05.28 (04) Castell-Castell, Otto Graf zu

• 2 months later...

I believe this last man Obst [Johann] Maximilian [Carl] Freiherr v u z Bodman, a FlüAdj of Ludwig III towards the latter part of the war. he served with bayr 3 FAR and as Mj with bayr 9 FAR. Castell and him looked alike and it can be tricky from afar. The second pic belonged to "HK" would like to credit him and ask him for permission to use.

In the Alamy group pic with Ludwig III, third man from right with hands on shoulders of little boy was Walther v Walderstötten.

the other three of the four men were: (1) Generalstabsarzt Ritter v Seydel, (3) Nagel zu Aichberg and (4) Walther v Walderstötten and between (3) and (4) was Oberstallsmeister v Leonrod.

Elwyn

Bodman1.jpg

Bodman2.jpg

Edited by freiherr

• 6 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

Think have more Castell- Castell photos 

to the King’s left and behind several paces89E819EC-0746-44D0-9E52-F418DCAE49C2.jpeg.467b013c07b37cc516c956e9a4792429.jpeg

Another 

Castell to the King’s right and in full pre war dress uniform 2FC23D62-3D12-43D4-AD4C-C585E9C1E874.jpeg.29827b318034d77bfe03ffb018cd65b0.jpeg

And on the far left is, I think, Castell in the field with the King. D2E790A1-2360-4C80-BEA9-73617B2F4AA4.jpeg.cbaba3b635e1c7dd2594e6f95f5509bd.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...
    On 10/07/2012 at 07:17, GdC26 said:

Wow ..... You've got to hand it to the German's (of whatever state), they are thorough administrators. Even if you would think that by 1917, they'd have other things to worry about. Anyway, it looks like I'll need to update my library with a copy of the 1918 seniority list.

Thanks Dave, this has been really valuable input.

Personally, I doubt von Castell-Castell, who served as a Flügeladjutant to the King of Bavaria throughout the war, received an EKI - diplomatic awards, yes, plenty, as is evidenced by the list above. But I'm not sure why a foreign state (Prussia) would grace him with what at the time was seen as a fairly high award for personal bravery.

Anyway, I stand to be corrected.

Regards,

Sandro

King Ludwig was awarded and EK1 and before the end of the war Prinz Alfons was awarded the EK1 and I Dont think either was awarded the EK for bravery.

• 7 months later...

This is Otto Friedrich Graf zu Castell-Castell at the wedding of his oldest son Dr. jur. Luitpold Alfred Friedrich Karl Graf zu Castell-Castell (1904–1941) with Alexandrine Louise Caroline Mathilde Dagmar Prinzessin von Dänemark (1914–1962) in 1937. That could be a EK I to the left below the star, but I just can't make it out. 

Royal guests and relatives at the wedding of Alexandrine Louise Princess of Denmark and Dr. jur. Luitpold Count of Castell-Castell at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen (1937) - Kopie.jpg

Royal guests and relatives at the wedding of Alexandrine Louise Princess of Denmark and Dr. jur. Luitpold Count of Castell-Castell at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen (1937).jpg

3 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

This is Otto Friedrich Graf zu Castell-Castell at the wedding of his oldest son Dr. jur. Luitpold Alfred Friedrich Karl Graf zu Castell-Castell (1904–1941) with Alexandrine Louise Caroline Mathilde Dagmar Prinzessin von Dänemark (1914–1962) in 1937. That could be a EK I to the left below the star, but I just can't make it out. 

Royal guests and relatives at the wedding of Alexandrine Louise Princess of Denmark and Dr. jur. Luitpold Count of Castell-Castell at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen (1937) - Kopie.jpg

Royal guests and relatives at the wedding of Alexandrine Louise Princess of Denmark and Dr. jur. Luitpold Count of Castell-Castell at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen (1937).jpg

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this and I think it could be an EKI but just hard to say. It would be nice to see more photos of him in dress uniform. What’s the Breast star?

14 hours ago, ccj said:

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this and I think it could be an EKI but just hard to say. It would be nice to see more photos of him in dress uniform. What’s the Breast star?

Very good question, maybe his ÖFJ2m.St (Rangliste 1914), but maybe something Bavarian or even Danish. What could the sash be?

Edited by Deutschritter