News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Officers with Chinese (Qing Dynasty and Warlords Period) Awards

JapanX

• Replies 133
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Very nice Nick. I like the St Stanislaus in #85 and 87.

Looking at the plume on the Japanese officer's cap got me wondering. We know that the Chinese Republic / warlord uniforms were designed by our friend General Munthe who modelled them off the Swedish Royal Guard complete with white egret plumes. But we also know that the Republic was strongly influenced by Japan.

I don't know enough about 19th century European uniforms but were plumes more of a Central / Eastern European style - Russian, Austrian, etc? I wonder where the Japanese military uniforms were inspired from.

I don't know enough about 19th century European uniforms but were plumes more of a Central / Eastern European style - Russian, Austrian, etc? I wonder where the Japanese military uniforms were inspired from.

In the beginning it was French, then of course the Prussians ;)

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Great pictures Nick!

There was a touch of cultural cringe in that long after Europeans abandoned them, the Japanese still insisted on wearing top hats, cocked hats and waist coats.

I believe in Tokyo, ambassadors presenting their credentials still get driven to the palace in a Disney land style horse drawn carriage!