News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone.

I could have sworn that I had posted a photo of this Canadian Memorial Cross Association document before but I cannot find it on the forum so I must have been mistaken. Oh, for a doller evertime I have been wrong...

It was my intention to repalce the previous photo, which I now can't locate, with a better one taken with the document out of the frame. I had taken it out of the frame a couple of weeks ago to send a photo to a fellow who contacted me regarding a Memorial Cross he has. Once out of the frame I decided to do some conservation work such as replacing the backing with acid-free cardboard and applying a dust cover to the back.

Since I am not prepared to write a history of the Canadian Memorial Cross at this time I will simply post a photo of the document, now it is out of the frame, and add photos of the crosses from the collection and the history another time. If any of the members would like to start this off please feel free to do so.

Regards

Brian

Hello Fellows,

Sorry that I have not been able to add to this post yet this weekend as I have been tied up restoring a number of collectables in the shop. More on that another time.

The document I have posted is actually from a local Legion Branch with a Silver Cross Mother's Association. These associations raised money and lent moral support to those women who lost loved ones in the wars. This came my way as it was it being discarded after a local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion moved into new quarters. It had remained behind for several years along with many other artifacts such as trophys and executive membership lists in bronze on wooded plaques in the former Legion Branch building. This particular document was on its way to the garbage dump when I rescued it as the building was slated for demolition. The owner of the building granted me salvage to anything I wanted from the interior, just to be clear on the legalities of my right of ownership.

As to rarity, I would say that you will not see many, if any, others in the hands of a private collector. From what I understand not all Legion Branches had Silver Cross Mother's Associations and many that did have them have long since been disbanded. At best this would mean that there were less documents than number of Legion Branches and fewer yet that would have survived once the Branch's Silver Cross Associations were disbanded.

A rare document and one that still survives only through luck.

Regards

Brian