News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Officers with Chinese (Manchukuo and Nanjing Government) Awards

JapanX

• 3 weeks later...
    • Replies 280
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Nick--Thanks yet again for your work on this and other threads!

Any idea of this officer's [post 232 & 233] identity and service? With such Balkan accumulation, perhaps based in Sofia with remit for Greece & Yugoslavia? He wears his Bulgarian Military Merit commander above his St. Alexander commander, out of precedence. This is only the 3rd image I've seen of a Japanese wearing a Bulgarian Order--for other two thanks to you as well as this one!!!

A 1930s Bulgarian group with a Rising Sun 4th class is/was on display in Sofia's Military Museum. In the late 1960s-early 1970s, Dr. Paprikoff owned a 14-15 piece Bulgarian pre-WW I group that included a Sacred Treasure & Tageuk plus a Dragon of Annam and maybe a Royal Cambodian Order. Likely belonged to a Bulgarian on some sort of junket in the Far East.

As always, thank you for locating and posting these rare images!!

I do have a question. I am now wrapping up my Japanese History class and noticed that most of the time these two nations were at odds with one another. What circumstance would have existed where Japanese would have been awarded Chinese awards, other than out of an attempt of friendship between wars?

Hi Nick,

Thank you [and Stas!] for the information on Yasui Todzi /安井藤治 (1885-1970)--post 232 above. I am unfortunately ignorant of the Japanese language and possible name variations. Searching for /安井藤治 led to Yasui Fujii. Are Yasui Todzi and Yasui Fujii the same individual? Below is what I find on Yasui Fujii, seeming to suggest reasons/time period for his Balkan awards. Could you please correct or amplify? Sincere thanks!

Eldest son of a businessman, Yasui Fujii attended Toyama high school and Nagoya army regional school through February 11, 1905. Graduated from the Army cadet school with honors. Became an infantry Lieutenant {regiment 35} February 11, 1913. In 1916, staff officer, Military Affairs Bureau. From1919, monitoring peace treaty implementation as member Committee in Eastern Europe. In 1926, promoted army infantry Colonel at division level; 1929 became a mobilization Bureau Chief. Then he served as guards infantry no. 2 commander until 1931. In 1934 promoted to Maj. Gen. and appointed infantry regiment 29 commander. In 1935, served in Tokyo where he led in the pacification of several incidents. Promoted to Lieutenant General 1937 commanding No. 5 National Guard; 1939 6th Army commander. In 1942, served in Tokyo, General Staff and appointed as Minister of State {Army} in the1945 Suzuki Cabinet.

Same person F :)

Google translation system indeed gives variant Fujii (one of variants)

I think now we know why he got this gorgeous garland of orders

In 1916, staff officer, Military Affairs Bureau. From1919, monitoring peace treaty implementation as member Committee in Eastern Europe.

;)

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Nick,

Thank you encore une fois!! Here's a bit more information regarding /安井藤治 and his career located at http://generals.dk/general/Yasui/Toji/Japan.html.

Cheers, EJ

1926- 1929

Attached to Chief of Mobilization Section, Econmic Mobilization Bureau, Ministry of War

1929- 1931

Chief of Mobilization Section, Econmic Mobilization Bureau, Ministry of War

1931- 1933

Commanding Officer 2nd Imperial Guards Regiment

1933- 1934

Chief of 9th Section (Military History), 4th Bureau, General Staff

1934- 1935

Commanding Officer 29th Brigade

1935 - 1937

Chief of Staff Tokyo Defence Command

1935- 1937

Chief of Staff Eastern Defence Army

1937- 1938

Commanding Officer 5th Independent Garrison

1938- 1939

General Officer Commanding 2nd Division

1939 - 1941

General Officer Commanding 6th Army

1941 Attached to the General Staff

1941 Retired

1945 Minister of State

Some additional info.

Gent in post #243 is Lieutenant-General Osako Michisada/大迫通貞 (1890 – 1974)

1931 - 1933 Head of Jilin Special Agency

1933 - 1936 Head of Tianjing Special Agency

1936 - 1937 Commanding Officer 44th Regiment

1937 - 1938 Military Advisor to Manchuko

1938 Attached to the Imperial Headquarters

1938 - 1941 Commanding Officer 5th Independent Garrison Unit

1941 - 1943 General Officer Commanding 57th Depot Division

1943 - 1944 General Officer Commanding 47th Division

1944 Retired

1945 Recalled

1945 Commanding Officer Kagoshima Area Command

1945 Attached to Western Army District