Graf

FAKE BULGARIAN ORDERS ON THE MARKET

On 04/06/2019 at 06:01, ilieff said:

Hi all,

Thanks to the director of the Royal Fund of King Boris and Queen Jovanna,  we have acquired some exclusive insight to the mysterious azure Cyril and Methodius crosses we were discussing lately.

These certainly aren't Cejalvo products as some theories suggested (though yes, C&M crosses have been minted by them upon appointment of HM The King).

Among the Royal collection at present, there are two such azure orders of different grades. At least one of them has been acquired by a third party via a Klenau auction in 1978 and later donated to the Royal Collection. This information is in line with 922F's comment above. I'd be happy if anyone has the old 1978 Klenau catalogues and is able to cite what the description of these orders was at that time. 

Either way, these two orders are being treated as genuine at present. This means that regardless of their actual background, their authenticity is currently not being questioned by the nominal awarding body itself.

So, is anyone in possession of the above-mentioned catalogue? 

If that's the case, then we should not be taking endorsements of this "royal fund" seriously.

922F set it straight - these are fantasy pieces, made from scratch for collectors. They resemble real awards and could fool most collectors at the times when information was scarce, but today we have enough reference materials to reject these imitations.

What bothers me is the fact that this modern royal fund puts these imitations on the same level as authentic awards. Think about it - someone bought these at the auction, with no history,  provenance or maker attribution, no proof these were ever awarded or even worn, yet this society decides they are legitimate. Why? Because they were donated? This is insane! 

Comparing image details of the eMedals collar with the 1978 Klenau European Orders since 1700 Catalog collar reveals they are close 'companions' if not the same.  Relative element size, flame 'veining' and many other specifics support this finding.   I remember that the green enamel color of the connection links differs from original specimens too.  

It looks like this same C&M set was sold at Klenau auction in 1978. Interestingly, there was also small collar for sale, which leads me to believe that full line of C&M insignia was made by someone. 

Is it possible that a collector or a museum commissioned some jeweler to make them all grades of C&M award? Someone who realized that he would never be able to collect all real insignia and decided to go for close looking copies? 

Just saw on eBay this shocking fake.

Unfortunately a nice 4th Class of the Bulgarian Order for Bravery was butchered to create a fantasy Order -Russian White Army  Price Tag  $ 1800

Also This Star of the Order for Military merit brought my attention The seller is selling it bellow the market value I do not like this wide black line of the edges of the enamel. Also the way the swords were ?aged"

I would not be adding this one to my collection

fakef.jpg

Fakef1.jpg

c18-045608.jpg

Too true....

Here is another shot of the Star

The upper arm of the Cross  is off the central line by a quite a bit  Also the text is very slim and not quite clear

The body of the Star looks OK i suspect the rest was added later  I might be too critical, however there are too many warning signs.

c18-0.jpg

$1800 for a modified 4th class? What are they smoking?

Stamp on pin reverse hinge seems akin to that of another another such 'slim text' star at same vendor.  I must check but really do not recall seeing 'slim text' version before about 2000.  

Hi 992F,

Those Stars with the very slim text appeared  around 2009 First on Ebay then on some Auctions around Europe, It was a work of well known distributor of fakes on eBay Viktor or Victor. We discussed him in the very early listings, when i started this topic

He ended his activities and now he is selling high end Russian and Bulgarian fakes watches, and jewelries His Shop is called Viktor antique jewelries or similar His new adventure is to sell very expensive "original " items claimed to be Royal Russian and Bulgarian ones. He also sells many fantasy  gold rings and jewelries with skuls

Apparently he found selling fake Bulgarian Orders and decorations not very awarding money wise

Copy of St Alexander 3rd class made by Gode. It even comes with a certificate.

These used to be sold about 20 years ago, covered many countries. 

SAC_1.jpg

SAC_2.jpg

SAC_3.jpg

SAC_4.jpg

SAC_5.jpg

How about.......     5th class or 6th swords on commander badge with Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise, sash?

c18-045267.jpg

c18-045268.jpg