News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have seen many different colonial medals some are coarse lacking in detail others display a cartoon like image of the Wilhelm II.

Have a look at the beauty of an awarded original 1912 colonial medal.

I had the ribbon bar without the medal for a long time. It belonged to a Baden man who served in German-East-Africa.

Finally, I was able to acquire the right medal for it. It gave me great pleasure to re-unit the bar with a medal.

Edited by Naxos

a very nice topic :love:

Here my little contribution :whistle:

At first the certificate for this nice medal. Gefreiter Biermann received also 1899 the MEZ2 (!) for his actions in GSWA 1898. Those certificates are rarer to find in comparison with those for the German-Southwestafria- or China- Medal, unfortunately.

And a nice Photo with the colonial medal in wear.

At first the certificate for this nice medal. Gefreiter Biermann received also 1899 the MEZ2 (!) for his actions in GSWA 1898. Those certificates are rarer to find in comparison with those for the German-Southwestafria- or China- Medal, unfortunately.

Karsten, what a great document! Thanks for posting it.

Edited by Naxos

and this nice medal bar. The owner received the colonial-medal most likely (in connection with the GSWA-Medal) for his actions in GSWA 1903/04.

Best wishes

Karsten

That is an GREAT group of document, photo and medal barrrr.....wait...did the medal bar loose it's battle bar that is shown on the photo? :speechless1:

Strange, he served in WWI (HK w/Swords) but they didn't give him any other decorations until 1934. Not even the war help medal.

That is an GREAT group of document, photo and medal barrrr.....wait...did the medal bar loose it's battle bar that is shown on the photo? :speechless1:

Strange, he served in WWI (HK w/Swords) but they didn't give him any other decorations until 1934. Not even the war help medal.

Hello,

sorry for that misunderstanding but this is not a group! Only single items... so nobody did loose his battle clasp ;)

Strange but not so strange because not every front-fighter received decorations....

But many colonial veterans weren´t front-fighters in WW1, because many of them weren´t capable for the front-service (jail-fever, malaria, blackwater-fever and so on).

Another nice pic with a lovely ribbon bar. Nice to see those miniatures battle clasps for the colonial medal. Did someone recognize him?....

...it is the famous defender of Mora Major Ernst von Raben :whistle: The picture was taken 1921, three years before his death.

Nice curriculum vitae of v.Rabe with another nice picture of him:

http://de.wikipedia....Ernst_von_Raben

(in german, unfortunately)

Hello,

sorry for that misunderstanding but this is not a group! Only single items... so nobody did loose his battle clasp ;)

:speechless:Ahhh. I re-read your post and it is my fault, I put this together as a group.

Strange but not so strange because not every front-fighter received decorations....

But many colonial veterans weren´t front-fighters in WW1, because many of them weren´t capable for the front-service (jail-fever, malaria, blackwater-fever and so on).

Please don't understand me. I think it is a period bar in every respect. It is "strange" as in "duly noted" that this gent, while he was considered a combatant in WWI, did not recieve any WWI decorations, not even the Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe.

close up of his lovely ribbon bar

Best wishes

Karsten

Hello Carsten:

Thank you for showing Maj.v.Raben's picture. I would like to mention that he was my and I believe many other German youth's hero during the years prior to 1945.

I noticed in the bibliography in the Wiki entry the mention of a publication from 1942 which must be one of those we were able to purchase and then trade for others. The then German colonies in Africa gave plenty of subjects for writers and the propaganda machine.

I have ordered a book from Germany " Der Krieg in Kamerun" which I hope to be interesting in the description of the short campaign there beyond the somewhat tainted material I recall.

Bernhard H. Holst

born in 1931

Great thread and great photos too!

Here's another photo of Raben, presumably pre-war (from Col J's collection)... who can identify the medals?

5673066110_74fa986e4e.jpg

Also does anyone have a full list of Raben's medals as worn in the later photos above?

Cheers

Chris

Oberleutnant Ernst von Raben in the earlier last photo Prussian Red Eagle Order 4th class with swords, Prussian order of the Crown 4th class with swords,Wuerttemberg Miltary Service Order 3rd Class Knight .This is in accordance with the Ordens Almanac 1908/09 and the 1908 Prussian Rank List which is also evident on his photo (even if it is not such a clear image when enlarged!).Chris maybe you can enlarge it on your original photo for us.

Looks like his sword is the colonial officers sword with crown pommel and officers portapee and 1907 darkened /anodized scabbard with two carrying rings and leather carrying straps complete.

Nice colonial officers parade belt and buckle and Oberleutnant jacket with red piping for Kamerun (I think) and officers lanyard .

In the earlier 1921 photo the medal ribbon I believe from left to right Iron Cross 2nd class, Prussian Red Eagle order 4the class with swords, Prussian order of the crown 4th class with swords, Prussian Military Service Cross (Dienstauszaichnungs kreuz), Wuerttemberg Miltary Service Order 3rd Class Knight? ,Kolonial Service medal with bars (Kamerun)? Mecklenburg Greifen Order 3rd class Knight ? ,then unknown

Thank you Piekenier for the identification, sorry I should have put a close up in-

rabenmedals.jpg

This photo is from Joe Rookery's Collection here- http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerookery/5673066110/sizes/l/in/set-72157625375396481/

Cheers

Chris

Great find Naxos congratulations. Very nice you were able to restore the very nice ribbon bar. Here is my best Colonial medal in my collection.

Good Luck George

Thanks George!

Nice one!

BTW: You will have something in the mail - long time coming (hope you still have the same address)

Hardy

I will post the backside for those who were happy to see a picture of v.Raben...

....with the original autogramm of v.Raben :jumping:

Would be nice to see some more items in this awesome thread.

Best wishes

Karsten