News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anyone know/remember what the difference was between Chaplains who wore the maltese cross rank insignia and those who wore the chi-rho monogram on a triangle?

In a word : seniority.

The chi-rho monogram on a triangle was introduced in 1968. By then, chaplains

had been made equivalent to colonels.

In the late 1980s, as the national service / conscription system reached its peak,

newly qualified and ordained clergymen were being drafted into the defence force.

Because they were too junior to be given colonel status right away, the defence force

introduced the maltese cross emblem for them to wear for a few years, before they were

upgraded.

Thanks for that. It confirms what I had suspected - that is was for NSM Chaplains. This raises another question or two. 1. What did NSM CPLN wear as collar badges? I assume they didn't wear gorgets. Many NSM never got issued with service dress in the late 1980s, with "affiliation dress" Nutria being the cheap alternative but due to their public role I would think CPLNs would have had service dress? 2. What rank was worn on service dress jacket by NSM CPLNs?

1. What did NSM CPLN wear as collar badges? I assume they didn't wear gorgets. Many NSM never got issued with service dress in the late 1980s, with "affiliation dress" Nutria being the cheap alternative but due to their public role I would think CPLNs would have had service dress?

Good question, i.e. I don't know the answer. My guess is that they wore the SA Chaplains Service cap badge on their collars. It would have been consistent with the general practice that officers below the rank of colonel wear the corps badge on the collar.

2. What rank was worn on service dress jacket by NSM CPLNs?

AFAIK, they wore the maltese cross emblem (or a Shield of David in the case of Jewish chaplains) on each shoulder.