News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Odulf,
    As always, write a comprehensive informative piece about the photo you post. This photo you show is new to me, I have a seal from the Marinenachrichtenstelle "Süd" in my photo collection.

Best,Morten.

I forgot to say Thank you for keeping the thread alive and I will also make my contribution here in the autumn Odulf.

Best from Norway,Morten.

My pleasure. Here is another contribution. Kriegsmarinedienstelle Stettin tally. This is from a small photo lot of a reunion of WW1 ex-U-Boat crew. The ceremony was held aboard U-43.

Cheers,

Larry

21.jpg

Another from the series. Unterseebootflottille Hundius tallys and one Marineschule Wesermunde tally.

img321.jpg

Edited by LarryT

Considering not just the range of different cap tallies seen here but also the wide variety of fantastic photos posted I am surprised that no-one has thought to publish a book covering these type of photos including photos of the trade badges which is another great photographic record. Considering Schiffer have published books in the past based on sign posts and wedding photos these would make a fantastic photo reference book.

Such a book has been produced "DIE MÜTZENBÄNDER DER DEUTSCHEN MARINE / 1815-1918 / Königlich Preussische Marine - Norddeutsche Bundesmarine - Kaiserliche Marine", by Bernd Wedeking & Markus Bodeux; Publishers: VDM Verlag in Zweibrücken, 2005; ISBN 3-86619-000-X. In German language. To me this book is the Gospel about this subject, and unfortunately there has not (yet) been a follow-up for the period 1919-1945 or to 2019.

It has been gigantic labour to collect all the information from archives, the original tallies and variations, and photos of all the tallies in wear in crystal clear pictures. The authors worked 25 years on this volume, with the help and support of many collectors, students and researchers of renown!

In the wide range of militaria, however, the interest in cap tallies is subordinate. A publisher takes a great risk in taking on such a book, usual printed in small numbers, and that explains the price. Many (young) collectors rely on the internet for information instead of investing in well written and researched monographies, but as the seasoned collecors/researchers know, there is a lot of nonsense spread, and who can tell fiction from fact?

As I see it, to take on the task of producing a book soly about German tallies is a labour of love and endurance, but to much for a single person, also because only few of the experts in this field can read and understand German. In the mean time, the serious collectors have to plod on and build their own reference files and rely on a circle of trusted fellow collectors to help out.

Edited by Odulf

36 minutes ago, Odulf said:

Such a book has been produced "DIE MÜTZENBÄNDER DER DEUTSCHEN MARINE / 1815-1918 / Königlich Preussische Marine - Norddeutsche Bundesmarine - Kaiserliche Marine", by Bernd Wedeking & Markus Bodeux; Publishers: VDM Verlag in Zweibrücken, 2005; ISBN 3-86619-000-X. In German language. To me this book is the Gospel about this subject, and unfortunately there has not (yet) been a follow-up for the period 1919-1945 or to 2019.

It has been gigantic labour to collect all the information from archives, the original tallies and variations, and photos of all the tallies in wear in crystal clear pictures. The authors worked 25 years on this volume, with the help and support of many collectors, students and researchers of renown!

In the wide range of militaria, however, the interest in cap tallies is subordinate. A publisher takes a great risk in taking on such a book, usual printed in small numbers, and that explains the price. Many (young) collectors rely on the internet for information instead of investin in well written and researched monographies, but as the seasoned collecors/researchers know, there is a lot of nonsense spread, and who can tell fiction from fact?

As I see it, to take on the task of producing a book soly about German tallies is a labour of love and endurance, but to much for a songle person, also because only few of the experts in this field can read an d understand German. In the mean time, the serious collectors have to plod on and build their own reference files and rely on a circle of trusted fellow collectors to help out.

I was asking  in differents forums frequently about this second volume(1919/1945) of cap tallies and finally I give up...I don,t know why the "fathers"of first volume never decide make the second one...

• 3 weeks later...

I come out here as a silent co-reader and co-author of the aforementioned book. Thank you for the kind words and the encouragement. Unfortunately, my English did not go beyond the level of the school, so I have to resort to a translation program. After the publication, there was soon a rift with the publisher. Agreements have not been fulfilled. On the other hand, the many years of very close cooperation with my colleague have left a clear mark. Thirdwasely, the sudden death of my wife came to me, which robbed me of the rest of my strength. Although I did a lot of preliminary work (data, facts, documents, wearing photos and cap tallies), I will not pursue the follow-up volume at the age of almost 73. But I support everyone who dares to approach the project with advice and deeds. My cap tallies Imperial Navy / Vorlaeufige Reichsmarine / Reichsmarine and Kriegsmarine are for sale.

Bernd Wedeking

Bernd,

Deepest thanks and sympathies are extended to you during this difficult time. It is with gratitude that there is such a great resource for Mützenband enthusiasts like myself.  I am sorry for the difficulties that you faced during this last project. 

Thank you ever so much and sympathies to you during your loss.

JustinG

Es ist mit tiefster Sympathie und vielen Dank für Ihren unglaublichen Beitrag zu diesem Sammelgebiet

On 22/08/2020 at 19:49, Smadding said:

I come out here as a silent co-reader and co-author of the aforementioned book. Thank you for the kind words and the encouragement. Unfortunately, my English did not go beyond the level of the school, so I have to resort to a translation program. After the publication, there was soon a rift with the publisher. Agreements have not been fulfilled. On the other hand, the many years of very close cooperation with my colleague have left a clear mark. Thirdwasely, the sudden death of my wife came to me, which robbed me of the rest of my strength. Although I did a lot of preliminary work (data, facts, documents, wearing photos and cap tallies), I will not pursue the follow-up volume at the age of almost 73. But I support everyone who dares to approach the project with advice and deeds. My cap tallies Imperial Navy / Vorlaeufige Reichsmarine / Reichsmarine and Kriegsmarine are for sale.

Bernd Wedeking

Hello Smadding,

Very sand to hear that Your wife has passes away.I feil Very Munch for YoU In the difficult time ahead.A Hobby is Now Munch more important than before to Get the mind on something Else.

Cheers,Morten.

i

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    16 hours ago, SICHERHEITSDIENTS said:

Hej Morten

Nice to see collection is growing up...thanks for sharing it my friend?

Thanks for the comment Fernando. Now I have over 300 Cap tallies portraits!??

Best from Norway,Morten.

12 hours ago, Odulf said:

Good catch Morten, interesting picture of an Obergefreiter with 6+ years seniority. He has removed the circular spring from the crown of his hat (late 1930s)

Thank you my friend Odulf for comment.You have a good eye for detail and are very knowledgeable and gear mass knowledge of this thread!????

Best from Norway,Morten.

Here is a rare tally. Even rarer to see a photo of it in wear. Schulboot Nordsee.

Nordsee was in service under that name for only six and a half months and had a crew of approx. 50.

Cheers,

Larry

image_4859797.jpg

Another recent addition to my collection. Marinenachrichtenschule Aurich.

Cheers,

Larry

Marinenachrichtenschule Aurich.jpg

Torpedoboot Luchs and Torpedoboot Seeadler.

Torpedoboot Luchs.jpg

Torpedoboot Seeadler.jpg