News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian marching medals (MESA and Ijzer)

Hello,

does anyone have any information about the two current marching medals awarded by Belgium? I mean the MESA Medal (Marche Européenne du Souvenir et de l'Amitié) and the medal for the four days march of the Ijzer (Vierdaagse van de Ijzer). What are their variations and they official belgian decorations? Thanks in advance.

Edited by JensF.

Hello Jens,

As far as I'm concerned these are not official medals, but the recepients are allowed to wear the medals on a military uniform only the year when the medal was received.

Will also show a pic of the Mesa in a next post.

Attached is a pic of medals of different years.

kind regards,

Jef

Hello Jens,

Sorry for not speaking about variations.

From left to right:

Year 1973-1997, gold coloured with a 25years jubileeclasp on the ribbon. Large AlbertI bust

Year 1994, silver coloured large AlbertI bust

Year 1989, silver coloured small Albert I bust

The first photograph shows a bronze coloured medal from 1978, also with a small bust.

The bust must have been changed between the year 1989 and 1994 (?), maybe another manufacturer?

Maybe other users have other year-issues?

I dont know what that smaller medal means. Somebody told me: for people who only walked a part of the march, but I don't know.

Kind regards

Jef

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

You can find this info on : www.mil.be

Souvenirs

No pain, no gain!

Medals and Trophies

In 2012 all participants will again receive an appropriate souvenir according to the distance

covered. This jubilee year ushers in a new cycle, with medals and bars with indication of the date.

This means that every participant keeping to the rules will be given a new medal.

The medal or trophy can be obtained at the inscription desks after finishing your last walking day.

Of course, awards are only granted after verification of the scan results at the start, along the way

and at the finishing line.

The souvenir you receive will depend on the different distances covered over several days.

Each walker only gets one souvenir:

“The Four Days of the Yser Medal” is awarded after walking 4 x 32 km;

Walking 4 days in any combination of the 16, 24 and 32 km distances, will make you the proud

owner of the “Small Medal”;

If you walk 4 x 16 km OR 3 x 32 km OR 2 x 32 km + 1 x 24 km, you will still receive the

“Silver Souvenir Medal”;

Gold pin: at least 2 days, in any combination of the 32, 24 and 16 km distances;

Tile 10x10 (while stocks last) or silver pin: 1 day 32 or 24 km;

Tile 8x8 (while stocks last) or bronze pin: 1 day 16 km.

The 8 km distances will NOT be included when calculating your total distance. You will, however,

receive a nice “rosette” each time you cover this distance.

Are all Yser March medals inscribed in Dutch?

I'm afraid I don't know, but I never saw a medal with French text. I guess all the medals are iscribed in Dutch because the march is organised by Flemish people.

On the other hand I never saw a MESA medal with Dutch text.

Jef

• 2 weeks later...

2 questions:

1- This one has M.S.A. in lieu of a year on the top bar, at the minimum I would've expected M.E.S.A.. Any idea of the year and why this inscription?

2- Any idea what the ribbon device means?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry ,Frank. That's a bit the problem with the non-officiel medals. There are no catalogues, no reference books about non-official medals. Only the organisation who instituted the medal knows the modalities and regulations...

Wish I could help.

Jef

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

This morning I saw this "4 dagen van de IJzer mars" medal om a fleamarket. I couldn't resist to buy it... only 2€. A 2003 edition

I saw it has a new view.....I'm afraid the guy on the medal doesn't look like King AlbertI anymore. But what can you expect for 2 €...

kind regards,

Jef

• 1 month later...