News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The 73rd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada), CEF, was authorized on 10 July 1915 and embarked for Great Britain on 31 March 1916, disembarking in France on 13 August 1916, where it fought as part of the 12th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division until 9 April 1917 when it was withdrawn from the line after Vimy and broken up to provide reinforcements. The battalion was subsequently disbanded on 19 April 1917.

It was perpetuated by The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada, a regiment of the Canadian Reserve Force, which is headquartered, odly enough, in Montreal. In fact, when I was there in April to retreive my youngest child, a student at McGill University, I had breakfast with a young militia man who was reproting in to the Black Watch. He had a French Canadian name but had done his service with an Ontario Highland unit and was unhappy to have to transfer to the Black Watch because he didn't like the tartan! Perhaps you know that the original 'Black Watch' were the British 42nd Reg't who were so nicknamed either because they wore a very dark tartan - green with a touch of red or because they were raised after the 1745 Rebellion, were the only men in Scotlnd allowed to wear kilts or tartan and were seen by some as collaborating with the English by serving as peacekeepers in the Highlands!

Interestingly enough, the badge you have is the commoner of the two worn by the unit it seems, as a maple leaf badge with the center numerals '73' is retailing for $1000.00 at Arctic medals in Winnipeg.

You might want to check this site out - very interesting: http://blackwatchcanada.com/

Peter

Edited by peter monahan