News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

female royal military service

Hi there,

the German wikipedia says that Queen Elisabeth II was the first and till 2006 the only female member of the Royals who did military service.

Sie war das erste und bis 2006 einzige weibliche Mitglied der königlichen Familie, das Militärdienst geleistet hat.

http://de.wikipedia....it.C3.A4rdienst

Who was the second?

I do not mean the honorary rank the female members got.

Thanks

Michael

Edited by aubagne98

Hi there,

the German wikipedia says that Queen Elisabeth II was the first and till 2006 the only female member of the Royals who did military service.

Sie war das erste und bis 2006 einzige weibliche Mitglied der königlichen Familie, das Militärdienst geleistet hat.

http://de.wikipedia....it.C3.A4rdienst

Who was the second?

I do not mean the honorary rank the female members got.

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

I can't think of any of the close younger female royals who did military service somebody may know of some on the periphary.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Would the Princess Royal - Princess Anne count ? She is a Vice Admiral and - I think head of the Naval Women's Services.

Like Paul I can't think of any other candidate. Mind you - it wouldn't hurt for a few of them to volunteer - there seem to be

'hundreds' of them in strange hats.............

Mervyn not really,

Anne's roles are purely honourary. HMQ actually served with the ATS in WWII and trained as a mechanic. Fergie's two daughters are members of the silly hat wearing corps but I don't think that counts as military service, Zara Philips while a brilliant horsewoman has no military connections and Sarah Armstrong Jones (or Sarah Chatto) (Princess Margaret's daughter) folowed the arts as a career so I am completely stumped. Even Princess Alexandra's daughter had no military connections. I would be interested to know. Mind you a new a few ex-marines who would nominate Prince Edward as according to them he was a bit of girl during his brief sojourn with them.

Paul