News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bukoushou Badge: Post War Veteran Replica VS. Original Piece

JapanX

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, many years ago I saw the similar veteran tie but with pin in the form of Submarine badge!!!

(by the way, seller described it as "Japanese Naval submarine school merit badge"... Presumably :lol:)

Here it is ;)

Edited by JapanX

Neat post. An advanced medal collector whom I really respect and has provided invaluable source info on various awards and medals once commented to me that he felt the bukosho example I owned could be fake because of a lack of quality in the die. It really did concern me once he pointed it out. Any thoughts?

One the flip side, I've been lucky enough to know someone who had several examples of this medal in different classes, and it was his opinon that the dies were being used and worn down...die marks in the back were one way he felt he could identify period buko-sho badges.

I guess the question is, if the buko-chosho was a military award, is they any info on where it was made? Similarly, if it was made by the normal factory that made other awards, should the quality of the buko-sho badges, even the 2nd class, be better?

Edited by kaigunair

Neat post. An advanced medal collector whom I really respect and has provided invaluable source info on various awards and medals once commented to me that he felt the bukosho example I owned could be fake because of a lack of quality in the die. It really did concern me once he pointed it out. Any thoughts?

Well, could you show your piece?

One the flip side, I've been lucky enough to know someone who had several examples of this medal in different classes, and it was his opinon that the dies were being used and worn down...die marks in the back were one way he felt he could identify period buko-sho badges.

Most likely there were several different manufacturers ;)

Edited by JapanX

... is they any info on where it was made?

To my knowledge - no info.

Similarly, if it was made by the normal factory that made other awards, should the quality of the buko-sho badges, even the 2nd class, be better?

I think the quality of 1944/1945 buko-sho badges is completely in line with quality of others japanese badges from same time period.