News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform photo: how many things wrong here?

OK, if this was a private being inspected by his drill instructor, how many gigs would he get for things wrong with the uniform? And this is a general.

Off the top of my head, I see:

- poorly sewn-on sleeve patch

- loose thread on epaulette

- Schmutz on the lapel

- misaligned ribbon bar devices

That said, he's a pretty tough-looking guy, barrel-chested with Fallschirmjäger and Einzelkämpfer qualifications, so maybe he has more important things to worry about than loose threads.

The one thing that stands out for me are the missing ribbons... Or rather, the ribbons that should be there but aren't.

A full general without any foreign orders? Me thinks not... Especially with NATO campaign ribbons where he would've been in a position of high authority most surely with foreign troops under his command. I checked the awards of all of the Generalinspekteurs der Bundeswehr with no WW2 awards and all had foreign awards.

One thing I am unsure of though... Is the Bundeswehr like the Canadian Armed Forces? Our only full general is our chief of staff, the only exception for 2 simultaneous full generals is when one is serving as chairman of the NATO committee, I know some ex Generalinspekteurs der Bundeswehr served in this capacity over the years. But still, the lack of foreign awards starts alarm bells for me...

This ribbon bar would be better suited to the uniform of a Hauptfelb/Stabsfelb of Haupman/Major's uniform IMHO.

Edited by TacHel

Hi Dave,

You made good points.

But he is a good Chap. He feels as Soldier, no dressman :-)

My former Brigade commander in Kosovo, now 4 star and Commander Joint Force Commande Brunssum.

Wolf-Dieter Langheld. When I see him next time, I will see at least to get corrected his ribbon bar :-)

Lots of greetings

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Krause

Gentlemen,

Interesting pictures of this General. Certainly the athletic type from the badges and awards he wears on his tunic. As for the misaligned bars on the out of country medals, this is not unusual. They turn quite easily on some ribbon bars.

Regards,

Gordon

Actually he has two foreign awards.. A Bulgarian award (2nd row, 3th ribbon) and a humble Nijmegen 4 days marching cross as his last ribbon.

Herman

I was leaning more towards a French, Italian or Belgian Order, or even a US Legion of Merit.