News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Glory 2. class

• Replies 98
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an Order of Glory with a serial number (7902) which is very close to yours. I would say that the engraving of the numbers of the two compares quite favorably.

Well, don`t you think that 3319 is much closer by handwriting than 7902? ;)

Possibly, but I do not think so.

Two points -

1. The reason that I offered my piece for comparison is because, in terms of serial numbers, it is the closest example of any offered so far. Is the engraving on the two absolutely exact? I suppose not; but don’t forget, this work was done by hand; only a machine would produce consistently exact examples. I think that we can agree that there are no really significant differences.

2. How many different engravers did this work? Until evidence to the contrary is given, I would guess that, at least during the period of these pieces (roughly #3000 - #9000) only one person was assigned the job of engraving serial numbers on Order of Glory 2nd class. This may sound like a stretch, but a good engraver could easily do more than one piece per minute. In an eight hour work day (a minimum of ten hours would be more realistic during those times), that would yield a minimum of 480 pieces engraved. At that rate, six thousand pieces (#9000 minus #3000) would be done in less than three weeks.

With this in mind, probably all of the pieces in this range were done by the same person; and the similarities of examples shown here far outweigh the differences. Maybe #9844 is the one done by a different engraver.

How many different engravers did this work?

I think in this diapason there were several engravers.

Until evidence to the contrary is given, I would guess that, at least during the period of these pieces (roughly #3000 - #9000) only one person was assigned the job of engraving serial numbers on Order of Glory 2nd class.

Hmmm...

Evidence?

Photos of these engravers? :)

The only evidence I have is specimens with numbers in different handwriting.

Another example was posted in post #22.

Everything is (naturally) in the eye of beholder....

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX