News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canada to finally award ‘battle honours’ to War of 1812 soldiers

Just came across this interesting news article which should generate a lot of debate.

After more than a year of fierce, back-channel debates among historians and government officials, Canadian military regiments with links to 200-year-old units that fought in the War of 1812 have finally begun receiving so-called “battle honours” that formally recognize Canadian soldiers’ contributions in at least five major engagements from the war. While Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced this week that several Canadian regiments will now be recognized for “perpetuating” the 19th-century units that fought in the Battle of Detroit — a key August 1812 victory led by British commander Sir Isaac Brock and allied aboriginal warrior Tecumseh — Postmedia News has learned that similar honours will soon be bestowed to other present-day military units for the Battle of Queenston Heights, the Battle of Chateauguay and the Battle of Crysler’s Farm.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/life/Canada+finally+award+battle+honours+1812+soldiers/7100951/story.html#ixzz23lXXgX9B

Jean-Paul

I agree with the "better late than never"... But am so crossed at the debate in the first place. Seems many people require to read up on what a battle honour is and what the intent in granting one is.

Pride, morale, history, values, sacrifice, rememberance, etc... Too many see it as a mere expensive decoration... I've been in a multi year fight to get 2 missing battle honours for my squadron and have had to face unbelievable bureaucratic stupidity...