News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Dublin Fusiliers - POW Fund Raffle Ticket

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks Mervyn. Yeah, it is an amazing piece and few local RDF collectors really liked it as well.

Today I was lucky and picked up one more great specially printed card to the regiment. Especially I like it because it is from 1920 and shows 1st Battalion gallantry moments from WW1 - landing in Gallipoli on the SS "River Clyde" ... and of course, card is printed just two years before disbandment!

I know the house in Dublin, where it was discovered, so hopefully one nice research project as well.

21385733fdc5ab_l.jpg

pages inside

First page shows "From the members Sgt mess"

21385735559f9f_l.jpg

21385737b01fe7_l.jpg

middle page is one large picture

21385739560904_l.jpg

21385743d705a5_l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mervyn! I find its great now to be focused only to the one regiment. Especially because I live in Dublin. However, regards of the value.... to get something, I have to pay already top prices, or more then usual market value of the similar items to other units. Because I am poor student now, I have to make many choises, when something pops up on the market (not very often - I can consider myself lucky to find all of these items!) :banger: .

Edited by Noor

No idea what that "Boy" can mean there. Regarding his service number, it can be new system what was introduces to the regiments after the war. Also I am struggling to read out his name.... "Dray l"???

21441181a81a11_l.jpg

Thank you! I will check out Leigh Kitchen's post.

Here is one more Christmas card from 1917 what I got. At this time not Battalion level but Divisonal instead. Still, I think its great and very interesting middle section!

2145151701e7dc_o.jpg

in the middle

21451625ef37e7_l.jpg

Really nice, isn't it? And the good part... it became with the envelope, so I have soldier's name. I have to do some research and find out which Irish battalion that lad was in. Hopefully Dubs!

Edited by Noor

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my next find - 4th (Reserve) Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers single card from the deck.

This unit was designed mainly for a soldiers who were recovering from their wounds or waiting results from medical comission, so why not spend some time and play cards? ;)

2149348395d44a_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today's arrival: 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Battalion Orders, 8 March, 1895 by battalion commander. Quetta.

Does someone know how often these Battalion Orders were printed (daily bases I presume because next day Orderly Officer is mentioned?), how these orders were kept, how many copies they may produced, etc? Looks like it is done on the good quality paper by proper press, so, I presume that there was reason for that and they produced many copies. Meantime I haven't seen them floating around.

Interesting paper and I am very pleased to have it :)

21624235c2e239_o.jpg

Thanks! Now, when I think more, I think they used some kind a Garrison press for a daily orders, etc, because 2nd Battalion stationed in India at this time (as possible to see on the print as well - QUETTA, what is city in Pakistan nowadays).

Most of the materials in UK/Ireland I have seen printed by Gale & Polden. Also smaller print houses in Dublin were involved.

Would be interesting to see, does these orders exist as a series in some archive as well or they were destroyed, when the Royal Dublin Fusiliers stopped to exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Talana was the first Battle of the Boer War - and the Bar is very sought after. We are credited with winning - however,Major

General Penn Symons was killed leading a charge against Boer riflemen on top of the Hill. Retreat was ordered as the Boers

had superior numbers and our troop fell back to Ladysmith and the Siege. The Battle of Elandslaagte took place during the retreat.

The Royal Dublin Fusiliers were prominent in the action and their RSM was taken prisoner and sent to Pretoria. He was later exchanged

and returned to the Regt.. He was Commissioned in the 1st WW and served with Natal Mounted Rifles.

Your collection keeps growing - well done. Mervyn