News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

real or fake atlantic stars

Hello there,

I purchased some WW2 medals today, all sold as original. Two of which were the Atlantic Star. I have followed the advice on the posting at http://gmic.co.uk/in...ke#entry100265.

the crown is raised there are 4 and half dots in between the lines on the crown, the cushion in the crown has detail, the V I are joined at the top, they are both the same thickness....but any advice given will be appreciated ..please take a look at the photos..the one with the ribbon has a bigger ring and is shinier...cheers chris

P1000370.jpg

P1000368.jpg

Edited by chrisjburr

Without seeing the backs, i'd be happy that the top medal is war issue, even though it is shinier. The patina looks right, as does the design. The bottom one looks like a reissue or copy.

• 2 weeks later...

Both of your illustrated Atlantic Stars are genuine Royal Mint issues neither is a fake or copy!

The one with the larger ring can be dated as being 'from' the 1980's, as it was in that decade that 'late claims' of WW2 campaign stars were being issued with the distinctive larger rings.

Your second Atlantic Star without ribbon is the 'standard' type (with smaller ring) that was issued in the 1940's, and continued to be issued through to the 1980's.

As information.