News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I was thinking of buying myself a Great War Canadian Maple Leaf cap badge or maybe collar dogs but know nothing about them so I’m hoping someone here can help.

After checking online it appears they have the battalion number on the Maple Leaf (I thought the CEF wore the general list badge), are there far too many restrikes sold as originals as is the case with British badges?

I've seen some silver badges but aren’t they usually war economy brass?

And are there less desirable badges such as the Corps badges in the British army?

Thanks

Tony

Good Morning Tony......

My suggestion is that you look at the Canadian section of a fellow forum......

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/canadian_expeditionary_force/cef_index.htm

Yes there are copies of the rarer Canadian badges but not as many as British bdges.....

The silvered / chromed General List badges were used in WW2.....

Mike

Tony

I've just picked up a couple of the maple leaf collar dogs - I think they were about $10.00 a piece and a general issue cap badge [no number] for twice that. Does that sound right, Mike?

As Mike says, the rarer badges are copied and are a real minefield for the non-expert but the commoner ones are avaible and, speaking from a position of some ignorance, seem safe enough. The problem with the rare badges -usually but not always the higher numbers - was that late war units often recruited only a few hundred men and were almost invariably broken up as units in the UK and rolled into the older units [nos. 1-25 or so] as reinforcements. In most cases the ORs at least likely re-badged to their 'new' unit and so the badge runs on the higher numbers were very small.

My tuppence worth!

Peter

Hello Peter,

It's good to hear a price range. I'll probably only buy one or maybe 2 badges, I'm not in a hurry to get them which give's me time to look around. I did have a look at a Canadian dealer's site, finding all cap badges rather expensive compared to British badges but if that's what a guaranteed original costs then that's what I'll have to pay.

Tony