News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cross of St. George 2nd class: ЖМ-variant with s/n 206,446?

Leclerc

Dear friends,

I'm looking for a Cross of St. George, and the other day I stepped over the following one:

http://i748.photobuc...elics/a4771.jpg

http://i748.photobuc...elics/a4772.jpg

I'm not an expert in these medals and the probability to buy a fake is very important. Therefore, I'd be very grateful for your help. I know the "XM" punch means it's a "cheap" 1916/1917 variant made of "yellow metal" instead of gold. But as far as I know, only 20,000 2nd class crosses made of yellow metal were produced, and they have a s/n from 65,031 to 85,030. So my question is, how is it possible that this one has the s/n 206,446? I can't imagine a forger would be so dumb and make such a mistake. Do you have an explanation for this? If it's an original, what would it be worth?

Then concerning an other Cross. of St. George:

According to the seller, this original one was awarded during the Russian civil war and is made of silver. Do you agree? If it's an original, what would it be worth?

Thank you very much for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the seller says his camera doesn't allow him to take bigger pictures that are not blurred. :unsure:

But did you try to click on the pictures above? They get a bit bigger.

Here are two more of the same cross.

Thank you very much for your help.

Unfortunately, the seller says his camera doesn't allow him to take bigger pictures that are not blurred. :unsure:

I cannot comment on the cross, I simply don't have the required experience in Imperial Russian awards... But as Igor suggests, you may want to be a bit weary of a seller making such a statement... I can take better pictures with my cheap cell phone! Considering the price one would pay for a real Cross of St George with original mount, you'd think the seller would make an effort to accomodate a potential buyer's curiosity wouldn't you?

CAVEAT EMPTOR! (= FAIS GAFFE!)

Edited by TacHel

Thank you very much Igor and François. You are absolutely right, this seller is not very trustworthy.

Unfortunately, I do not speak Russian and the Google translator tells me strange things when I want it to translate the forum you posted, Igor. As far as I understand what the translator tries to tell me, one of the anwers says it is a fake, right?

Is there a trustworthy seller of Crosses of St. George with reasonable prices you can recommend?

:beer:

CAVEAT EMPTOR! (= FAIS GAFFE!)

:beer:

Edited by Leclerc