News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish officer - uniform during Crimean War 1855-56

Paul_1957

I have seen a copy of a photo containing a large group of Turkish officers of the Turkish Contingent dating from 1855-56.

One of the Turkish officers is wearing very light coloured (probably white) trousers with a wide dark stripe running down the outside of the leg. All of the other Turkish officers have dark coloured trousers with a stripe. The officer with the white trousers is wearing a fez and has fringed epaulettes on both shoulders of his jacket. He is one of only two officers seated on a chair in the group and he is in the front row which suggests to me that he holds a senior rank. The other seated officer is British.

Does anyone know which Turkish officer ranks in the Turkish Contingent wore white trousers as part of their uniform?

Paul

I'm no expert by any means, but I've read that the Turks had a summer uniform in white. Could this officer simply being wearing that uniform?

I've also read recently about Ottoman Egyptian troops in white, especially artillery.

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your suggestion about Summer uniform. However, the seated figure is the only one wearing the very light coloured trousers. Six other Turkish officers in the photo are wearing trousers of a very dark colour (probably black, dark blue or red). All of the Turkish officers, including the one seated, are wearing dark coloured tunics too. I'm leaning towards thinking that the trouser colour is either a sign of rank or possibly it distinguishes the branch of service.

Regards

Paul