News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Cross Medal with strange suspension ( forgien? civilian? french?) and unknow badge

Lion101

I was in Japan not too long ago ( this year) and I was visiting a friend. I decided to go out militaria hunting and I did not have to go too far when I found a nice shop that sales Japanese Militaria. The prices was were more than fair. WW1 Japanese Ailled Victory Medal with Case for $50 and Order of the Scared Treasure 3th class for $150. At anyrate, I pick up these two awards along with a few others. Does anyone know why the red cross medal have that style of suspension? and does anyone know what the other badge is for?

My friend told me that he believes it was for census of some type but he wasn't sure.

I am grateful for any help that anyone could give.

Japanese Red Cross was founded June 1888. Regular membership Medal - for members who have contributed more than 300 yen. initially struck in silver, then aluminum.Special member Silver Medal - for long-term contributors.Special gold membership medal - for members who have contributed more than 10,000 yen.

Medals of merit Japanese Red Cross granted to foreigners who have become contributing members of the Japanese Red Cross.

Originally only one class in silver from 1956 in two classes of silver (greater contribution 50,000 yen) and gold (by more 100,000 yen).

The one on Your picture is Medal of merit Japanese Red Cross, and the ribbon or suspension is missing it could be part of the Japanese Red Cross in time of war-Japan- Russia in 1904-1905. and then the medal is worn on the ribbon prescribed, which is valid for all the decorations , it is also known to wear a simple metal clip or sling is made a symbol of the Red Cross - quite rare. The second option is small metal bar.

In any case in my opinion the suspension on Your medal is not regular and probably made buy the owner of the medal because he lost the original ribbon or suspension.

I am sorry I do not know hoe to put the photos to show the examples on the message I will try to learn that quick.

CHEERS

Jovan

The one on Your picture is Medal of merit Japanese Red Cross, and the ribbon or suspension is missing it could be part of the Japanese Red Cross in time of war-Japan- Russia in 1904-1905. and then the medal is worn on the ribbon prescribed, which is valid for all the decorations , it is also known to wear a simple metal clip or sling is made a symbol of the Red Cross - quite rare. The second option is small metal bar.

In any case in my opinion the suspension on Your medal is not regular and probably made buy the owner of the medal because he lost the original ribbon or suspension.

No, this is not a merit medal - this is a commemorative medallion for the Russo-Japanese War and these were not officially hung from ribbons, though you can occasionally find them on both men's and women's ribbons (very easy to hang onto a woman's ribbon especially!). The EXACT purpose of other types of suspension is unknown, but one theory suggests they were possibly worn by medical staff. The twisty pin on your medal can be observed on numerous other medallions, not only of the Red Cross, in fact you do not see these that often on Red Cross pieces, not original to the piece.

Lion, those are definitely good prices if the medals are in good condition! Can you share with us the shop name and location?

The Japanese 1904/05 medal! WOW!!!!!! That's what- a @ $100 medal these days?

Only for those on serious crack. ;) However, yes, I'd pay $100.00 for MINT specimen (rotsa ruck findin' one!) I have seen in excess of $130.00 for the 1904/05 war medal in good condition, not close to mint. I haven't been paying close attention to prices for these on eBay lately - are they reaching this insane level?

Edited by Dieter3

Only for those on serious crack. ;) However, yes, I'd pay $100.00 for MINT specimen (rotsa ruck findin' one!) I have seen in excess of $130.00 for the 1904/05 war medal in good condition, not close to mint. I haven't been paying close attention to prices for these on eBay lately - are they reaching this insane level?

Wait, now I see - you meant the 1904/05 Red Cross commemorative! My mind drifted and I was thinking about the war medal! Sorry. Yeah, these things - they sit on Y!JA all the time for 1,000 yen. They're so common, they're only seemingly worth anything if they have their cases and the mini-document that you sometimes see. The ones with the Geneva Cross, a bit different - definitely go for more, but nothing outrageous!

Anybody actually reads this forum?

I wonder ...

http://gmic.co.uk/in...ts-suspensions/

What forum? Is there a forum here? ;)

No, this is not a merit medal - this is a commemorative medallion for the Russo-Japanese War and these were not officially hung from ribbons, though you can occasionally find them on both men's and women's ribbons (very easy to hang onto a woman's ribbon especially!). The EXACT purpose of other types of suspension is unknown, but one theory suggests they were possibly worn by medical staff. The twisty pin on your medal can be observed on numerous other medallions, not only of the Red Cross, in fact you do not see these that often on Red Cross pieces, not original to the piece.

Lion, those are definitely good prices if the medals are in good condition! Can you share with us the shop name and location?

Hello, Thank you for weighting on the medal and would you happen to know what the other one is for and what it say on the box?

As far as the shop goes, I don't remember what the name of it was. All I can tell you is that it was in Nagoya and if I remember the street. I will let you know.

Anybody actually reads this forum?

I wonder ...

http://gmic.co.uk/in...ts-suspensions/

I did see the forum but I wasn't sure if it was ok for me to post there or not. Since it is your forum?

Japanese Red Cross was founded June 1888. Regular membership Medal - for members who have contributed more than 300 yen. initially struck in silver, then aluminum.Special member Silver Medal - for long-term contributors.Special gold membership medal - for members who have contributed more than 10,000 yen.

Medals of merit Japanese Red Cross granted to foreigners who have become contributing members of the Japanese Red Cross.

Originally only one class in silver from 1956 in two classes of silver (greater contribution 50,000 yen) and gold (by more 100,000 yen).

I am sorry I do not know hoe to put the photos to show the examples on the message I will try to learn that quick.

CHEERS

Jovan

Thank you for weighting on the award, could it had been an unknown type? I have seem this style of suspension on Lesser French and Belgian awards from world war 1

I did see the forum but I wasn't sure if it was ok for me to post there or not.

Really?!

Looks like you didn't have this problem in the past

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/51582-unknown-japanese-insignia-help-please/

Since it is your forum?

Wrong Nick :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Of course Lion , you are welcome to post in any place! Forum for All!! :)

Thank you, Dieter3

Also I will like to Thank all of you who helped me out with this issue. Also that second award still remains a mystery to me? If anyone could translate, that would be very helpful.